SD Cards

Reaction score
Alright, well I switched over to a MacBook Pro from an HP probably 3 months ago. I had no problem with the transition except with SD Cards. With my old computer I used to be able to move .mp3s onto a blank SD card and play them in my car. Since i got a Mac anything i delete on this card does not actually delete. It will say 148 MB available but if you go to add something it says its full. Then i go into my car and the SD card is split into different folders, all the new stuff. then the next folder is all the stuff i deleted, but you put it in the mac and it doesnt show this other folder. I had the same problem with my phone Micro SD so i reformated it with the mac and now my phone will not read the Macintosh format no mater which i choose. Its super frustrating because this is the only thing that Microsoft was way easier with. Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
When you deleted the files on your Mac did you empty the trash also? Things are not really deleted unless you empty the trash. That's a common mistake people do. Place the card in your Mac and then check the trash. You will probably see all the files waiting to be deleted. Delete the trash while the card is connected to get rid of the files.

For your phone's Micro SD you probably formatted your card to Mac's file format which your phone doesn't seem to be able to read. Look at your owner's manual, search the internet, or call up your phone's support number to find out what file format the Micro SD card needs to be formatted to.

If your phone has a format feature then you should use that. If it doesn't you can try formatting to FAT32 in your Mac and see if that works. Since it sounds like you have always formatted in Windows in the past then the file format has to be either NTFS or FAT32.

OP
L
Reaction score
wow that was a huge help, I dont have my phone SD card with me but the regular one works fine. Thanks a bunch, I guess thats why you ask right? I feel pretty stupid because I was a Windows master, got sick of the BS now here i am.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
No problem with the help. I'm glad I was able to help you. We were all once new to Mac so don't feel stupid. I remember when I first switched to Mac several years ago. I had a lot of questions too. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.