• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Macbooks soon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Since the iPad is finally out, Apple should have more time to think about something else...maybe even possibly MacBook Pro upgrades. ;) At this point it's easier to predict the mysteries of the universe than it is to predict when the next notebook lineup are going to be updated. There has been many so called leaks, rumors, and implied evidence that new notebooks will be out soon but that has been going on for a few months now. Apple likes to keep its secrets so we won't know until they are released.

Although with the growing number of people willing to wait for the next upgrade, I wonder how much money Apple is losing with the delay in release of the next notebook lineup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Although with the growing number of people willing to wait for the next upgrade, I wonder how much money Apple is losing with the delay in release of the next notebook lineup?

So true!! I'm thinking that the "Sneak Peak Conference" on April 8 might have some news for iPhone 4.0 firmware and possibly even a mention of new MacBooks in the drawing board.

Then I predict they will be released at the WWDC in June.

But who knows....

Apple could release them tomorrow, no one will know when they will....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Being realistic, if one already owns a Macbook or MacBook Pro, what would they have to add or change in order to sell yet another one to that person ? Take me for example. I have two MBP's. One from the end of 08' and one from the end of 09', the last one made. An i5 or i7 processor would not be enough incentive for me to sell my current ones just for that. I'd rather just get an iMac at this point.

IMHO, this would be an great time for someone whom doesn't already own a newish model to get one though... I guess I'm thinking that on a laptop, a faster processor isn't going to be that much of a game changer. I get along great with Lightroom 2 and my base model 13" MacBook pro. It's definitely fast enough. And if I switch for the 08' MacBook pro with the 2.54 Ghz processor and 4 gigs of RAM, even better. Just the whole thing about diminishing returns and all.

Thoughts ?

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thoughts ?
I think there are only a small percentage of people who currently own last year's model or another recent model and is going to buy the expected newer ones. I know I certainly won't since mine is the current recent model but since we are on an enthusiast's forum it doesn't take much reason for enthusiasts on any subject to buy the latest item. What you are talking about is a person's want versus their needs. If a person wants something and they have the money then they will buy it.

I personally will be happy once the new notebooks are out because there are so many people waiting for them who do need a genuine upgrade because their computers are several years old or are starting to show signs of dying. Of course they can get the current ones but many signs are pointing to an upgrade soon and I'm not talking about typical rumors. If the notebooks were at the mid cycle of past upgrades times then I would say get one now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I personally can't think of anything that they could add that would make me buy another one, right now. Blu-ray? Cool feature, to be sure, but it's not a deal-maker or breaker for me. Faster processor? Mine is fast enough for what I need it to do. Bigger hard-drive? I can do that myself in my current machine.

Those are all cool things for somebody needing a new computer, but to cause someone to switch? Not in my case. My wife will be getting one, though. I told her I'd get her a MBP come redneck X-mas (tax time), next year. I got mine this year, and she's been jealous, so she gets a trip to France and a MBP. lol

Reaction score
I have been waiting for a MBP update for the hard drive space. Right now I'm using one with a 250 gig drive. I know they have not updated the drives for almost 1 1/2 year when my principal ordered one the summer before last with a 500 gig drive. If I'm going to put down over 2,000 dollars I want at least a 750 or 1T drive. In my dreams they will start releasing them in colors:D.

Reaction score
I would buy a MBP cause I have a regular macbook, and I would really love to have a high end 13'' apple laptop, but I hope that the prices don't go too high from the current ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sonoransun said:
I have been waiting for a MBP update for the hard drive space.
As mentioned above you can upgrade the hard drive yourself or pay Apple to do it for you. There is no need to buy a new computer just for a larger hard drive.

I got mine this year, and she's been jealous, so she gets a trip to France and a MBP. lol
I think your wife is getting the better end of the deal. ;) The only new feature that has me excited is the rumor of being able to finally switch graphics cards without needing to log out and in. I still wouldn't sell off my current computer to get it but it will be good to know that future laptops will have the feature when I do get an upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2Gb 20" old school one, looking to invest in a new one.
Sweet! im so waiting to get my MBP if theres a chance of 640Gb hardrive, d'you recon the prices will go up though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
The only new feature that has me excited is the rumor of being able to finally switch graphics cards without needing to log out and in.

Yes I'm pretty pumped about that too. I don't already own a laptop, so I'm getting this one for sure. I also like the sound of the solid state hard drive. Keep the system running lightning fast, and store music/larger files on an external:D

Reaction score
i almost made this thread yesterday. haha. i've never owned a laptop, but i've started saving for a MBP. hopefully the new one is released when i have the coin to drop on it. should go nicely with my 2 other apple products.

Reaction score
I rather Apple upgrade software instead of hardware again, I just brought MBP few weeks ago, from my point of view, I don't like to be upgrade so soon, but Apple always surprise us out of blue, who knows........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
I rather Apple upgrade software instead of hardware again, I just brought MBP few weeks ago, from my point of view, I don't like to be upgrade so soon, but Apple always surprise us out of blue, who knows........

The last update to the MBP range was August last year, the hardware is not outdated by any means but to be seen as top of the line they need an update soon, as currently you can get a much better spec PC laptop for much less money.

New processors, more RAM and bigger HDDs. As well as a non integrated graphics card in the 13" please!

C

chas_m

So true!! I'm thinking that the "Sneak Peak Conference" on April 8 might have some news for iPhone 4.0 firmware and possibly even a mention of new MacBooks in the drawing board.

No.

If there's one thing Apple has been totally consistent about since they stopped doing MacWorlds, it's this: events about THING A do not mention THING B.

The April 8th event is about the iPhone/iPad OS X variant (which I'll shorthand to "iPhone OS" even though it is *not* its own OS). It will not be about anything else but iPhones and iPads and the OS X variant they share.

Reaction score
The biggest issue I have at the moment, is that the whitebook has 90 more gigs of HD space than the mbp. That is backwards IMO. I am almost tempted to say that the whitebook is a better bargain these days. So it's not aluminum? So the keys aren't backlit? I don't think the minor differences currently justify a $200 price difference. I am aware that there are other features that differentiate them. But your average consumer won't use any of them, let alone know they're present on their machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
The biggest issue I have at the moment, is that the whitebook has 90 more gigs of HD space than the mbp. That is backwards IMO. I am almost tempted to say that the whitebook is a better bargain these days. So it's not aluminum? So the keys aren't backlit? I don't think the minor differences currently justify a $200 price difference. I am aware that there are other features that differentiate them. But your average consumer won't use any of them, let alone know they're present on their machine.

No doubt about it, the white macbook are still great computers. And no, the price difference doesn't make sense. But this is exactly why apple needs to get their new line out; older models have similar technology, and the newer macbook even has some better specs than the current base MBP. So hurry up Apple!

Reaction score
Macbook Pro

HI,

I recently bought a Macbook Pro. Does anyone what is the timeframe Apple gives, if I wanted to return it? Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Thank you!!

Regards,

Jorge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I was told 30 days at the apple store, however, I was told recently by another member that in Europe it is only 15 days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.