Processor decision for Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I've recently been interested in buying a MacBook Pro (my first Mac ever). I have searched the forums and I have seen the other threads on this topic, but I thought that since it's a $300 decision, it's worth asking for my specific situation.

I'm trying to decide between the 2.8 and the 3.06 GHz processors. I am planning to use this computer for school but I also would be using it for gaming. I'm also planning on using Boot Camp to run Windows 7 to ensure compatibility with those games. I was wondering if the $300 I would be spending for that upgrade is worth it.

Another thing, while looking at those same forum threads, I saw discussion over the 2 available speeds of hard drive. Would I REALLY notice the difference between the 5400 and the 7200 rpm models in my day-to-day life?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
You would feel the difference between the 7200 RPM and the 5400 RPM hard drives, while booting up and even just opening Safari.

As for the processor, many people will tell you to buy the best processor you can. The 3.06 is that for you. The extra CPU power may be noticeable while gaming, but for web browsing and listening to music you will see no difference.

If the 300 dollars is not that big of a deal for you, I would go for it. If money is an issue, stick with the 2.8 as it is most likely plenty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
^^ What he said. If you can safely afford the faster processor, then go for it. It will make the computer last longer in the long-run, and will help resale value.

Like what Alex said as well, it would be more noticeable to put a faster 7200 RPM hard drive in it. If you do upgrade the hard drive, buy one off of Newegg.com and install it yourself. You will save a lot of money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I (unusually) agree with everything that has been said thus far. If you can afford it, get the best processor. However, if there's a way to get the lesser HD and RAM, I'd go that route to save money and get a bigger, faster HD and more RAM from Newegg.com

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're not doing a lot of video encoding the 3.06 is overkill at a $300 upgrade price. For any type of gaming that would notice a difference between those two chips, the limiting factor on a MacBook Pro is the nVidia GPU. The 2.8 CPU would not be the cause of slow frame rates or inability to use max settings.

If 3d gaming is high on your list of qualifications for a computer, I still advise building your own gaming rig - don't spend all your money on a MBP. You can build a gaming rig today that would make the MBP whimper in shame for $1200-$1500. Of course, if that 9600M GT is better than anything you've been using, you're not really a gamer and you'll be ok with it.

Yes, there is a noticeable difference between 5400 and 7200 drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
As the previous poster said, the processor speed will mean nothing to you. The killer will be the graphics card. Having played a few games on both Macs and PCs I will tell you straight up that if you are wanting your machine for games, don't get a Macbook pro. Yes the MBP will play some 3d games, but you will have to accept lower detail setting, maybe even turn some things off and will still not have a super fast fps.... Even older games like Hitman work way better on an older PC system I built for games than it does on my MBP. If you absolutely must have a laptop that is also a gaming rig, look at an Alienware machine where you can get a nvidia 260M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
7.2k makes a really big difference in my experience. As for the CPU, it may make a difference in gaming, but the 2.8 is plenty capable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.