• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iMac or iPad?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 Intel Duo 500GB HDD 4 GB RAM 9400M
Ok, I'm in a jam here, I was going to buy a iMac today but held it off because something caught my eye, the iPad. It was on display and I looked at it and used it for about 10 mins, wow this iPad is awesome! but now I can't decide on what to get! A iMac or a iPad, it is very tough to choose now lol, so any help will be usefull.

T

todd51

Well what do you need more? If your just needing a regular computer, then you'll get more out of your money by buying an iMac. If you already have a computer that is good enough for your everyday needs, then by all means, get the iPad and show it off!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
I have both. iMac is a computer and the iPad is a larger iPod Touch. Not many will admit it. I have an iPhone, 2 macs, several iPods and a 32gb iPad. I love Apple products! You will need a computer to use your iPad, so if you have a semi current PC or mac go for the iPad. An iPad will not serve as a computer alone.

Are you replacing a computer or making a first purchase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Ok, I'm in a jam here, I was going to buy a iMac today but held it off because something caught my eye, the iPad. It was on display and I looked at it and used it for about 10 mins, wow this iPad is awesome! but now I can't decide on what to get! A iMac or a iPad, it is very tough to choose now lol, so any help will be usefull.

If it were me? an iMac. You can do more with it. Wait until iPad prices go down and then go for it.

Then again I can't afford either so take that as you will. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
OP do you really need to ask? an iMac of course

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I got a chance to play with one today (iPad). They are amazing and super fast. A guy brought his in and didn't know how to use it, so I kind of showed him the ropes as the experienced mac dude who has been doing nothing but reading about the iPad. That thing screams. It is soooo quick. Safari, I tap it, and pops open as quick as on the macbook. Very thin, very light weight. I actually didn't mind the keyboard. The cute clicking noises it makes as you type on it (with it laying down is easiest) makes it feel much more familiar. I didn't notice a terrible decrease in my typing speed, still about 40wpm instead of the usual 50-60.

That said, get the iMac. They are AMAZING computers, and will serve you well for much longer. Also, as previously stated, the iPad will be perfected in second and third generation models. Remember how the iPod didn't get super cool until its current state, the touch. Imagine 6th gen iPads! AHHH! But yea, the point is, 500 bucks isn't a ton to save up after you spend 1200. Wait a year on the iPad, see what happens (like the front facing camera I only know they have to be putting in). In the meantime, enjoy a super sweet upgrade to your computing experience.

Reaction score
the first of the year, i picked an iMac over a MBP. in the next couple of months i plan on picking up a MBP (hopefully the new one comes out right around when i'm ready to buy). i think the iPad is really cool. i mean, REALLY cool, however, i'm not exactly sure how it would fit into my life. my iphone has been great thus far, and i dont travel or watch movies. haha. a guy had one in class today he was showing off. looked pretty cool. it was like magic to him though, he doesnt have an iphone. hehe.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 Intel Duo 500GB HDD 4 GB RAM 9400M
the first of the year, i picked an iMac over a MBP. in the next couple of months i plan on picking up a MBP (hopefully the new one comes out right around when i'm ready to buy). i think the iPad is really cool. i mean, REALLY cool, however, i'm not exactly sure how it would fit into my life. my iphone has been great thus far, and i dont travel or watch movies. haha. a guy had one in class today he was showing off. looked pretty cool. it was like magic to him though, he doesnt have an iphone. hehe.

Well I never used a iPhone because, its basicly a iPod Touch which I already have and I use Verizen.

But anyways I went with the iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
Congrats! I know you'll like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Well I never used a iPhone because, its basicly a iPod Touch which I already have and I use Verizen.

But anyways I went with the iMac

And now you have a hot new machine to sync that 2nd gen iPad to!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21in 2011 iMac
iPad if you just need to do light browsing
iMac if you need a computer, lol. iPad won't be replacing a laptop or a desktop for a while i dont think.. unless a lot of applications that make it a lot more productive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
Both! More seriously an iMac would be able to do more for anything other than just surfing/reading. I have a 27" iMac myself and I would never ever ever give her up. She's beautiful lol :) But I also can't wait to get an iPad just so I can lay in bed and read/watch stuff less bulky than a laptop (hubby has a macbook and an iMac) I just prefer something exactly like the iPad for lounging. For anything else ... no contest iMac is the bomb diggity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.