Macbook External Display

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for a monitor to hook my 13" white MB up to for working at home so I can have more screen real-estate to work with. My budget is a little limited at the moment so I was looking for something relatively low priced ($200 or less), and I found a monitor for sale on Newegg for $170.

Newegg.com - Hanns·G HH-231HPB Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DCR 15000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

It's a Hanns-G HH-231HPB monitor. I haven't come across this brand before and wanted to be sure I could connect it to my MB before I put the money down on it. It connects with VGA or HDMI so I know I would have to buy an adapter or two depending on which input I wanted to use. It also uses built-in speakers, so that would be one less thing to have on my desk.

I suppose I have two questions:
1) Would it work with my Macbook?
2) What video input should I use? (Would it be worth it to go with Mini-DVI to DVI and then DVI to HDMI, or would it not make any difference?)

T

todd51

How old is your white MB? The new unibody MacBooks can support up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display which is pretty good. I suggest just going with HDMI for getting some HD out of the display.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's actually one of the White 2.2 Ghz Macbooks (the generation before the Aluminum unibody model came out).

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm still shopping around for a monitor and can't find a definitive answer about whether my 2007 Macbook can support the full resolution of an external monitor. Most everything I'm finding online is about the new unibody Macbook. According to the information window on the computer, I have a MacBook3,1 if that helps.

I'm still looking at the monitor I listed previously, but I've read that the color quality isn't too great for things like graphic design (I use photoshop and illustrator a lot), so I'm starting to look at Dell, LG, and Samsung monitors even though they're a little higher priced. Is there a specific model I should look into getting? I'm looking in the 22" range and under $200, but I can be flexible with either of those numbers if it's a good monitor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That MB supports up to 1920x1200 on an external display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.