Omg help!

Reaction score
not sure where to post this,

I installed Windows 7 and I thought I did it via bootcamp, boy was I wrong. I was smart enough to have a copy of my leopard disk on my linux server but it is in DMG format. All I want to do is burn the stupid DMG file and get back into Mac OSX! I swear I will never use Windows ever again, but I really need help. I have tried transmac, but the disk doesnt work when I burned it. I am going out of my mind. I have long since lost the Leopard disk due to not using it and moving all the time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nothing like formatting your OS X partition and overlaying it with Windows 7...
:Angry-Tongue: :Angry-Tongue:

Sorry, but about the only thing I can suggest to you is purchase a retail copy of Leopard (expensive!) or Snow Leopard and erase and reinstall OS X.

You might try giving Apple customer care a call and give the specifics of your machine and then ask them to send you the original install media for it. Don't know now much they'll charge, but I'm sure it will be less expensive than the retail version of Leopard. Of course Snow Leopard retail upgrade is only $29.00 at your local Apple store....

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
I bought the 29 dollar version as it was the only thing I could afford right now. I did some research and apparantly you can just install using that, I will definetally let you all know if it does work:Grimmace::Shouting:STUPID MICROSOFT I wish they would have warned me "hey you arent using bootcamp" I called Microsoft and yelled at them, how dare you not tell me. Their reply was simply ignorant. I told them that I am glad I am an Apple customer and will be returning the Windows 7 disk to the store for my money back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Does this make sense .....

Installing Windows 7 ( because you need it )
Returning it to the shop ( because you don't need it )

All of this in less than 24 hours.

" I don't read manuals, I just push buttons until it works. " :)

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Have to agree with you there McBie... nothing more I can add there that wasn't between the lines, but I will!
To the OP,
I'm not playing the blame game here, but it's not Apple, Microsoft, or the sales person at fault here, but it is merely the user in this instance.
Bootcamp assistant> print out and read instructions before installation!
It is very apparent that you did not do this, and unfortunately, you need to start from scratch.
These things happen, and it is very easy to get excited about loading Windows onto your Mac when you know that you can (and many people do), but when you don't follow the correct procedure and it all goes pear shaped.... well, pear shaped it is!

Reaction score
I don't think this is a panic scenario. Rename the .dmg to .iso and use any window PC to burn the install disc. Hope this helps...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I don't think this is a panic scenario. Rename the .dmg to .iso and use any window PC to burn the install disc. Hope this helps...

No need to rename dmg's and burn iso's and stuff mate , the OP confirmed he bought " the 29$ version " ... so all is well now.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
E
Reaction score
wow really?

DMG is not ISO 9660 its HFS so renaming it would only confuse any burning app. Thank you for flaming me I appreciate the hatred. I made a mistake but there should be some sort of warning letting the user know "You are trying to install Windows without using bootcamp, this could be very dangerous."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
if you bought it from lets say bestbuy, endafy
i don't think they'll allow you to return it, open software is non refundable due to piracy issues. Depending how much you spent you got a coaster for your drinks :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thank you for flaming me I appreciate the hatred. I made a mistake but there should be some sort of warning letting the user know "You are trying to install Windows without using bootcamp, this could be very dangerous."

You made a mistake, simple as that!
You're not the first, and certainly won't be the last.
There was no flaming or hatred there in any of the above, just a little digging at your anger and blaming of others for the mistake you made.
When installing Windows 7, you were installing a whole new OS, not just an application, and in doing this, you would have had to select the HD as the destination for your install, which in turn would have given you a little dialogue (warning).

Lesson learned!

Now, with your SL and Windows 7 discs, and using either Bootcamp assistant, or virtual machine software, there is no reason that you can't have both OS X and Windows 7 running on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
if you go into an apple store and just tell htem you need a reformat.. they'll do it for free WITH an install of ilife 09

for me they did anyway.

I took my out of warranty MBP into a local apple store here and just wanted to reformat it but all I had was the tiger install discs..

They did a fresh install of Snow Leopard w/ iLife09 in 35 minutes and I was out the door free of charge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.