Backing Up a Back Up?

Reaction score
Hi everyone...
This is my very first post.
I may seem a little paranoid for what i'm about to ask now.
But here's my situation:

First of all I use a mbp 15...
I don't store much of my data files on my mac because they are really big.
I have large amounts of precious files (From pictures to videos, music to documents...) and i keep them on a separate usb hard drive.
They are about 1Tb.

I kept wondering... if anything goes wrong with this usb hd, I will lose all of those files. So i bought another 1 TB usb hdd to backup all my files.
So whenever i have a new file to add to my archive, i do this copying stuff twice and now i am fed up with manually synchronising the 2 hd's.

Is there a solution to automatically backup a separate hd?
thanks already for all your replies...

MK

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How about a backup of a backup of a backup?;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

You must excuse Nick's quirky sense of humour ;). I'm just working through the issue of backing up what I consider important, from my eMac to an external firewire drive. From what I can see, the first attempt has been successful.

All that is by way of saying that it's a simple matter to backup valued material to more than one drive, but I don't think you can do it simultaneously. I use an application called iBackup, because I'm stuck in the Tiger time warp, but I simply schedule the day and time I want the job done - and it does it! My main problem is remembering to switch on the external hard drive!

If I wanted to backup my backup to another hard drive, I think I'd have to do it manually. It wouldn't be difficult or laborious if I had more than one external drive daisy-chained via firewire enclosures, it'd be a simple drag-and-drop operation.

OP
weatherreport
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply hughvane...
I will check on iBackup today.

I think I gave the wrong name to the thread btw...
(and causing some people to shine their Chandler Bing talents :D)

It shouldn't be "backing up a backup"
It should be "backing up data stored in an external hd"

because i only want to back up my files from one device to another.

Thanks,

C

chas_m

McBie has hit the nail on the head. Either of those programs (CCC is cheaper) will do exactly what you want to do ... automatically even!

OP
weatherreport
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input...
I think I've found what I'm looking for with mcbie's suggestion.
I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and the interface looks like it's going to work just fine.
The reason why I didn't yet tried is, it only uses mac formatted drives. but my externals HD's are fat32. And I have to reformat the main HD first.
BTW... Before I begin doing this... Any chance for a CCC similar application that works with fat 32 also?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.