Airport cannot connect to Linksys-G

J

JustinGrant

Hello, I have a Power Mac G4 that I just installed an Airport (not Extreme) card in. I'm trying to connect to a Linksys-G wireless router. When connected via ethernet, it works fine. My roommate's G5 iMac finds the network with no problem. However, when I open my Internet Connect, the Airport isn't even detecting a connection. The router is sitting about 10 feet from my computer. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? The computer is a Quicksilver G4 933mHz and the router is a Linksys-G WRT54G. I'm baffled.

OP
B

badmojo

Make sure the firewall is turned off on the router. In fact, you may want to completely reset the router and start from scratch. The fact that the PM can't see the router sounds like (1) either the card is not seated properly, or (2) the router's ignoring the pings from the PM A/C.

Edit: Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
JustinGrant said:
Hello, I have a Power Mac G4 that I just installed an Airport (not Extreme) card in. I'm trying to connect to a Linksys-G wireless router. When connected via ethernet, it works fine. My roommate's G5 iMac finds the network with no problem. However, when I open my Internet Connect, the Airport isn't even detecting a connection. The router is sitting about 10 feet from my computer. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? The computer is a Quicksilver G4 933mHz and the router is a Linksys-G WRT54G. I'm baffled.

Is the router 802.11b or 802.11a/b/g speed. It looks like you have a 802.11b card and you are trying to connect to a 802.11g only router. you need to find out that if the router is a combo speed

OP
J

JustinGrant

Thanks for the help, guys! Here's what I found out. The router is indeed an 802.11g router, but the Linksys website says that it is interoperable with existing 802.11b devices at 11Mbps. So I think that's not the problem. As far as the device not being seated properly, the computer is definitely detecting the Airport. It shows the Airport ID in the system prefs. Finally, I reset the router, and that did nothing. I'm not sure how to turn off the firewall, as this is my roommate's router, and she is out of town. Any other ideas? Thanks again!

Reaction score
Does your roommate have encryption set on the wireless? If they do you have to set it on up your machine to connect to the wireless :)

OP
S

SErgini0

Something that i often set up on my wireless routers is mac address filtering, if it is the case on your router, insert the mac's physical address, or turn off the feature in your router setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.