iPad pictures out of order???

Reaction score
Hey, guys...hoping to get some help on a frustrating issue.

I have a lot of comic book scans, which look BEAUTIFUL on my ipad...but, when I sync the photos (all jpegs) w/my ipad, the photos are all out of order. I tried renaming the files "1, 2, 3, etc" which didn't work...the only thing that has an affect is if I name them "001, 002, 003, etc", but even then they play in reverse order!

any suggestions? O:)

Reaction score
same problem here

I have exactly the same problem. I do presentations for a living and use the iphone for quick referels. The IPAD however will not show anything in order and yes they do in fact come in backwards if you are lucky enough to get the sync right.

So for those of you who are not following here is what occurs:

1. You take a photo collection of .jpgs named 000.jpg 001.jpg 002.jpg which on WINDOWS machine will display in photo viewers just fine and synchronized, however the same collection once transferred to the IPAD will not be in any synch whatsoever.

Unless this is fixed this is a huge deal breaker. I make a living selling products and I have a pitch that follows a certain slide sequence.

What is the deal here? Retarded IPAD programmers?

How can such a simple service as displaying .jpgs in sequence get so screwed up?

Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
They should be ordered the same way they are in iPhoto, but if they're not they are definitely ordered chronologically so one workaround would be to change the time stamp, which you can do in iPhoto or Photoshop Elements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
Wouldn't changing the file name re-date it as far as modification goes. I'm having the same annoying problem. It started with iPhoto on my iPhone so I moved all my pictures to the picture folder in finder and renamed in numerical order. For the iPhone it fixed the problem but now the pics are scrambled again on the iPad. Still no problem on iPhone.

Reaction score
changing time stamp didn't work

Have a PC so can't use iPhoto. tried changing both the names and the time stamps using Photoshop elements on my PC but he order of the photos didn't change. Very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
Have a PC so can't use iPhoto. tried changing both the names and the time stamps using Photoshop elements on my PC but he order of the photos didn't change. Very frustrating.

I would appreciate a solution to this problem as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Fair enough, it seems to be different to the original iPhone issue. The iPad must be using some other criteria for sorting.

Google isn't turning up much either.

Reaction score
No help from Apple

Just spent an hour at the local Apple Store and they couldn't figure it out either. It appears that the sort is by date, but simply changing the date via an album program like Photoshop Elements doesn't help. We also changed dates on Picassa for the PC but when the files were exported the dates didn't stick. So far the only solution appears to buy a MacBook Pro and sync it with Iphoto through Itunes which will work. An expensive fix. Either that or find a program that can change the file dates permanently in a way that the Ipad will recognize.

Reaction score
wow

so we have found a problem. I was sure someone would have the answer and I would be saying " Oh yea why didnt I think of that " but it actually has stumped many people. Im not sure what to do now. I bought this 64gig IPAD just to do mobile picture shows for sales. What a disappointment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
James1956, I have the MBP and the photos were in iPhoto through iTunes. This worked for the iPhone just not the iPad. No worries, I have it posted on eBay and Craiglist. I won't have it long.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Too bad...I'm sure there will be apps shortly that properly categorize photos, but it's surprising that apple has decided to format the photos in this way...

Reaction score
Mbp

Rfe, Could you post the link where you're selling the MBP? But I thought you first said you were having problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
200458694940 this is the item number. I gettig alot of grief over the asking price. The price is totally negotiable.

I was having a little difficulty connecting to wi-fi in the hospital today. After using my MBP and searching the web. I found it to be user error. The hospital needed me to log in to there server. I forgot about doing this on the MBP several monthes ago. As far as the picture things goes, I'll sure Apple will work that out.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Instructions for iPhoto since everyone will have this app for free on their Mac: I am still using iLife '08, but can't imagine it'd be much different for iLife '09. I'm holding out for '10 before I upgrade.

Open up iPhoto and head for 'File' and select 'New Album...'

In the popup window, select 'Album'
Name the album
do not put a check in 'Use selected items in new album' - found "on occasion" you'll not be able to rearrange if you pre-select the pictures.

Once you have the album created, drag and drop the pictures you want in it. When you have all the pics you want for that album, you can go in and move the pictures around and rearrange to your liking. I have done this moving pics from Events within iPhoto, from Projects and Albums in Aperture and from a folder on the desktop.

Have now successfully synced three separate albums from iPhoto and they all maintained the order I set. All the photos file names are titled IMG_0001 up to IMG_0831 and all were .jpg files. Didn't matter what order I put them in the Album, they synced properly to the iPad. All three of the albums I synced have the the same, identical pictures and each album is in the order I set them.

You will need to use the "Albums" view on the iPad. They will not be in order under the "Photos" view.

I have also synced multiple Albums from Aperture 2 with up to 225 pics and have not had an issue with order there in 'Album' view on the iPad either. They are not in order in the Photos view.

I have not attempted syncing direct from a folder yet.

Reaction score
Eureka! A solution for PC's!

So how do you control the order of your photos after transferring from PC to iPad through that nasty gatekeeper Itunes?

Simple really, at least in hindsight.

I think it's been established that iPad sorts its photos by time stamp, earliest time/date first. The problem is where does it get the embedded date data from? And is it even embedded in every photo file? And how do you change the time stamp?

I'll cut to the chase and offer the solution.

First, sort the photo files in a folder on your PC hardrive in the order you want them to appear in the iPad album.

Next, open the first file you want to appear in the album with a photo edit program. I used Picassa, but I assume that Photoshop Elements or similar programs would do the same. After opening the file, then simply click "save as" and rename the file (not even sure if the renaming is necessary). Direct the "saved-as" files to a new folder.

Next open the second photo you want to appear in your iPad album and do same. Continue with all the photos, automatically resetting the date/time stamp each time you save it.

Now open Itunes and sync to the new folder you created with the re-dated photo files.

Voila, you now have a photo album on the Ipad exactly as you want.

Or...you can buy a Mac and use iPhoto...but why would you want to give Mr. Jobs any more money after all the trouble he has caused you over something that should have had a much easier solution built into the device from the get go.

Credit goes to my friend Trilby, who worked on the problem probably just to keep me from complaining about it.

James

Reaction score
Unfortunately this begs the question how do you go about editing those new albums -- for example adding another photo to the middle of the stack -- other than re-doing the entire process at least south of the insertion point.

Reaction score
That's the best fix the iPad has? Wow. That sucks big time. Are there any 3rd party image viewers that actually work properly?

Reaction score
maybe this

Here's something I saw posted in an Iphone forum. Tried it with the Ipad and didn't work. However, maybe it might work if instead of synching with a folder you synced with a photo album in Picassa or Photoshop Elements. I currently don't have access to either but maybe someone can try it out.

----------------------------------
(from another forum)

FINALLY!
I have solved the sorting problem and my photos are now all sorted exactly like I want them. I realized that the iPhone sorts photos chronologically based on the optimized version it creates. What you have to do to get your photos sorted the way you want them is the following:

1) Uncheck the "Sync Photos" box in iTunes and choose to delete all pictures from your device
2) Go to the folder that your pictures are in
2) Find the folder called "iPod Photo Cache"
3) Delete that folder
4) Go back to iTunes and recheck the box to sync photos
5) iTunes will optimize your photos again and they will be sorted the way you have them in the folder

It is not the cleanest way to get your photos in the order you want (especially if you have like 1,200 photos), but it gets the job done. You will have to do this every time you add new photos, but I would rather take a few minutes every time I sync my iPhone and have my pictures sorted correctly rather than look at my pictures out of order.

Reaction score
ipad slideshows

I've tried all the suggestions, renaming files in sequence then sync to ipad after deleting existing library, then tried the 'new album' suggestion, which both work fine if you just scroll through images, but when activating as slideshow, the sequence reverts to something other than when the image was modified.. but nothing I can figure out. Anyone any ideas, or news from the lofty ipad makers ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.