Two iPhones with one iTunes account

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I have two iphones with one itunes account. However, our taste in music is very different. How can we set it up so that the changes I make to my iphone for music won't affect his? I've read a bit about different libraries, but I can't find out how to keep them managed. How do I set them up? if one of us downloads a song, will it be available on both libraries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
Yes, I'm pretty sure you will have to share your library. Just keep making playlist. My wife and I each have our own Macs but we have shared libraries activated. 2 different iTunes accounts.

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't understand what you're saying...

I'm trying to use two iPhones on one computer with the same iTunes account. I thought shared libraries were for different computers?

C

chas_m

My boyfriend and I have two iphones with one itunes account. However, our taste in music is very different.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM. You are each doing the other a big disservice by doing things this way.

The obvious answer is to set up another iTunes account for yourself. It's completely free of charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
I don't understand what you're saying...

I'm trying to use two iPhones on one computer with the same iTunes account. I thought shared libraries were for different computers?

Yes, I use 2 computers.

One of you will need to start a new iTunes account. I'm not sure myself how it will work on one computer though. I'm sure it's as simple as logging in on each account. Of course you will only be able to use one account at a time if this is even possible. You'll have to give it a shot, or just continue to make separate playlist. That's might be the best solution.

OP
B
Reaction score
It's not that simple, because although we have somewhat different tastes, there is a bit of overlap - so we won't be able to access the songs we've already downloaded, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
THIS IS THE PROBLEM. You are each doing the other a big disservice by doing things this way.

The obvious answer is to set up another iTunes account for yourself. It's completely free of charge.

If you do that then you cannot share purchases on the iPhones, such as applications or TV shows.

To the original poster
: Just set up different play lists (His and Hers) and have your iphone sync to only your play list and vice versa. You can easily set up the syncing options for each iPhone individually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I'm confused myself. What is the problem with making and keeping separate playlist. When I purchased my first iPod, I shared my itunes with my girlfriend. Now that we are married our iTunes has gone separate ways. She has hers and I have mine.

We never had any problem using multiple iPods or iPhones with one account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21in 2011 iMac
just have 2 iTunes accounts if you're gonna use the same iTunes on the same computer..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I shouldn't make separate libraries? That's really what my question was about...

No. Just make playlist. Then you can share everything and just sync what you want.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I don't even make a playlist. I have an iPod Nano, two iPhones and now an iPad all being synced to the same computer and the same iTunes account.

All of ours are set to manually manage, except the iPad. On the first sync, naturally it's going to be a pain dragging and dropping what you want onto the device. But, that's no harder than dragging and dropping to create a playlist. After the first sync, most are typically just adding a new album or two just purchased anyway.

My question is, if/when you and the current boyfriend break up, which one of you gets all the stuff purchased on that iTunes account and which of you is left holding the proverbial bag.

Reaction score
records arrested

My question is, if/when you and the current boyfriend break up, which one of you gets all the stuff purchased on that iTunes account and which of you is left holding the proverbial bag.

+1 it could get messy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.