Next iPad

Reaction score
Definitely gives me hope as to what this little machine is capable of, though I'm still not buying a 1st Gen model unless I find one SUPER cheap.. I'm content to wait for the 2nd Gen and see what added features pop up.

Do you expect the next iPad to be more like the iPhone first generation compared to the iPhone 3G or the 3G compared to the 3GS? I have a 3G, and never felt the need to get the 3GS because it didn't offer not that many more features.

Reaction score
I'm not real sure what to expect with the 2nd Generation, I mean knowing Apple it could be completely different or it could have a few minor upgrades.

I'd love to see a camera, maybe some USB ports and a modified version of an actual operating system.

I really do like what I see from the current iPad though, but again, it's just not enough to warrant a purchase from me at the moment.

C

chas_m

I'd love to see a camera, maybe some USB ports and a modified version of an actual operating system.

A camera is certainly a possibility. USB ports = no chance, and there's even LESS than no chance of whatever you're talking about regarding an OS. The entire purpose of the device -- it's *whole raison d'etre* -- is to offer an alternative to the "files/folders/mouse" paradigm. If you don't get that, you really don't understand this device at all.

But here's another thing -- I wouldn't count on seeing the "2nd gen" iPad for a long time. My guess would be at least 18 months from now, more like 2 years. I don't think they will offer any substantial revision in it until they have to go 4G for the changing cell networks.

Reaction score
A camera is certainly a possibility. USB ports = no chance, and there's even LESS than no chance of whatever you're talking about regarding an OS. The entire purpose of the device -- it's *whole raison d'etre* -- is to offer an alternative to the "files/folders/mouse" paradigm. If you don't get that, you really don't understand this device at all.

But here's another thing -- I wouldn't count on seeing the "2nd gen" iPad for a long time. My guess would be at least 18 months from now, more like 2 years. I don't think they will offer any substantial revision in it until they have to go 4G for the changing cell networks.

It's just like, my opinion man..

I understand exactly what the iPad is for, but that doesn't mean it can't be "more".

I think everybody figured it'd be about a year, maybe two for the 2nd Gen.

I also don't think you understand what I was saying regarding a more streamlined OS for the iPad. I'm not the only one on this site who would like to see that, there are plenty. The pure capability of the iPad with the size of it's screen and battery life could be used to the fullest extent with an OS designed specifically for it.

I don't know about USB ports, but I'm thinking since Apple wnats the iLife and iWorks packages on the iPad that it would be convenient to print straight from the iPad, etc...

Nobody is talking about "complicating it", but again, why should we be satisfied with the bare minimum regarding this product? Maybe with the 2nd gen they'll offer a low end product similar to the one they just released (with some minor updates) along with another "higher end" model..

Again, this is just discussion, don't get so personal about it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Mac, if I may, I don't think that he meant to be rude or anything. I think that he is, like many other people, surprised and tired of people complaining that the iPad doesn't do this or that.

I think that the raison d'etre of the iPad is to be an easy to use internet browser, video player, music player and whatnot. Nothing more requiring more power or more anything. Otherwise, if you give the iPad a real OS, then you have a very different product. And I think it is called a "Tablet PC" or even a "laptop" :) From what I could gather online, tablet PC or MAC that run a real OS are, first of all, bigger, thicker, heavier, with a battery that doesn't last long.

I've spent quite a time looking info about these tables online. The ones with a real OS are just as complicated - for many people- to use as real computers. And Apple didn't want the iPad to be something complicated to use. It's easy, starts fast, and stops fast :)

My 2 cents...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And just remember USB on an ipad means the ipad would have to have the power (amperage) to power the USB ports. And that would eat into the battery life a lot I would think. Unless the USB worked when the ipad was charging. But then you'd be plugging: devive via usb to ipad and that same ipad is usb connected to uour Mac. A little pointless, why not jsut ship the ipad and plug the device into the mac.

For those reasons I think usb on the ipad at the moment is not really practical.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And I moved these posts here (instead of just deleting them all as being off-topic) because I'm tired of every thread turning into the same rehash of what's missing, what will the next version have (we are only 2 days into the life of the first iteration), etc.

Really didn't have a clue what any of the above had to do with "Netflix on the iPad" which is where the above posts were located (except the8thark's post).

Reaction score
Mac, if I may, I don't think that he meant to be rude or anything. I think that he is, like many other people, surprised and tired of people complaining that the iPad doesn't do this or that.

I think that the raison d'etre of the iPad is to be an easy to use internet browser, video player, music player and whatnot. Nothing more requiring more power or more anything. Otherwise, if you give the iPad a real OS, then you have a very different product. And I think it is called a "Tablet PC" or even a "laptop" :) From what I could gather online, tablet PC or MAC that run a real OS are, first of all, bigger, thicker, heavier, with a battery that doesn't last long.

I've spent quite a time looking info about these tables online. The ones with a real OS are just as complicated - for many people- to use as real computers. And Apple didn't want the iPad to be something complicated to use. It's easy, starts fast, and stops fast :)

My 2 cents...

???

You asked me what I expected with the next iPad, I answered, then somewhat got ripped for it..

I mean, honestly, I don't care if people are "tired" or "surprised" that people aren't exactly happy with the iPad... That's irrelevant to me.

I mean seriously, if people can;t have a differing opinion of what the iPad COULD develop into, then what's the purpose of discussion boards?

Nobody is trying to change what the iPad is.. It is what it is, BUT, that does NOT mean it can't be a littler more. It's simply foolish to not expect Apple to upgrade it for a 2nd Gen model..

Honestly, there are USB workarounds such as camera connector docks and such, and if it could get mutli-tasking, that would be HUGE for me..

I'm not too worried about a camera, because I have my phone and if I feel like I'm going somewhere that I may be taking pics, I'll bring my digital camera.

Also, I think you're misunderstanding my point about the OS.. Again, there are plenty on this site who would like a modified version of Mac OS x instead of the iPhone OS working on the iPad.

Other tablets have troubles with their OS because it's running Windows and they most likely don't have the resources to run it as effectively as they should.

Seriously though, don't ask for somebody's opinion and get "upset" or "shocked" that they may not agree with your view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
My dream for the iPad is a machine which is light to carry, large enough to be usable (i.e. iPad size rather than iPhone size), is on immediately you switch it on and can be switched off immediately without shutting down, and which does pretty much what the iMac does.

This is probably NOT going to happen any time soon as the power requirements are not possible.

I have several Netbooks and a laptop. None of these are Macs, but I don't think that makes a difference in this case. Sometimes I take these to work - not to use in the office as that would not be allowed - but to use at lunchtime. I take a netbook to the Pub where I have lunch, I take it out of its case and switch on. Wait for it to start up - by which time my meal has arrived. I go through the process of connecting to 3G - by which time I need to leave and go back to work. Nothing achieved.

With an iPad, I could take it out of its case, switch on and it is usable at once. So I actually get something done in the half hour available, instead of just waiting for it to start and connect - and then shutting it down again.

OK, the iPad does not meet all of the requirements I specified above. However, it does manage most of them. The netbooks do not.

The only downside I can see is the size and convenience. I also have a Kindle2 and a couple of other ereaders. I never take those to work as they are a pain to carry around. Instead I use Kindle for iPhone on my iPhone (or eReader for iPhone), as I have that with me anyway and it fits in the pocket.

Not sure yet if the iPad will be light and convenient enough to carry around or if the iPhone will still win out? The Kindle2 is surprisingly heavy compared with the other ereaders - is that the 3G?

How heavy does the iPad feel to carry around please? How does it compare with the Kindle2, or maybe the Kindle DX (which I have not tried either, but they are closer in size)?

Essentially, what we are all thinking of is a PADD from Star Trek - as long as it does not sound like Majel Barrett-Roddenberry :)

It is going to take a while before we get one of those, so until then we use what we can get. Either way, it doesn't do any harm to dream or to discuss what we would really like to see.

Thoughts please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, let's keep it civil... :D

A lot of the things I'd like to see can be fixed in software and I am hopeful today will bring those things. More interaction with MobileMe (like being able to load and save files to the cloud). Multi-tasking would be great, it remains to be seen how this will be implemented with such limited memory resources and the ability to manage mail filters directly on the device (same as on iPhone).

Hardware wise, the next iPad should try and be lighter and have a non-reflective screen as an option (like the MacBook Pros). Standing on the New York subway reading a comic can get tiring on your hand, unless you grip the iPad in a more centered manner, but then I find I turn pages by accident.

Oh, and an even lower cost version... get the user base up as quickly as possible. Users = Apps, Apps = goodness and more users.

Really, I'm just waiting for the apps to arrive!

OP
V
Reaction score
???

You asked me what I expected with the next iPad, I answered, then somewhat got ripped for it..

I mean, honestly, I don't care if people are "tired" or "surprised" that people aren't exactly happy with the iPad... That's irrelevant to me.

I mean seriously, if people can;t have a differing opinion of what the iPad COULD develop into, then what's the purpose of discussion boards?

Nobody is trying to change what the iPad is.. It is what it is, BUT, that does NOT mean it can't be a littler more. It's simply foolish to not expect Apple to upgrade it for a 2nd Gen model..

Honestly, there are USB workarounds such as camera connector docks and such, and if it could get mutli-tasking, that would be HUGE for me..

I'm not too worried about a camera, because I have my phone and if I feel like I'm going somewhere that I may be taking pics, I'll bring my digital camera.

Also, I think you're misunderstanding my point about the OS.. Again, there are plenty on this site who would like a modified version of Mac OS x instead of the iPhone OS working on the iPad.

Other tablets have troubles with their OS because it's running Windows and they most likely don't have the resources to run it as effectively as they should.

Seriously though, don't ask for somebody's opinion and get "upset" or "shocked" that they may not agree with your view.

Dude, I was commenting on your post regarding chas's, I never got upset or anything. And for your info, I never created this post. Someone quoted what I said in another post and created a new one with it.

OP
V
Reaction score
My dream for the iPad is a machine which is light to carry, large enough to be usable (i.e. iPad size rather than iPhone size), is on immediately you switch it on and can be switched off immediately without shutting down, and which does pretty much what the iMac does.

This is probably NOT going to happen any time soon as the power requirements are not possible.

I have several Netbooks and a laptop. None of these are Macs, but I don't think that makes a difference in this case. Sometimes I take these to work - not to use in the office as that would not be allowed - but to use at lunchtime. I take a netbook to the Pub where I have lunch, I take it out of its case and switch on. Wait for it to start up - by which time my meal has arrived. I go through the process of connecting to 3G - by which time I need to leave and go back to work. Nothing achieved.

With an iPad, I could take it out of its case, switch on and it is usable at once. So I actually get something done in the half hour available, instead of just waiting for it to start and connect - and then shutting it down again.

OK, the iPad does not meet all of the requirements I specified above. However, it does manage most of them. The netbooks do not.

The only downside I can see is the size and convenience. I also have a Kindle2 and a couple of other ereaders. I never take those to work as they are a pain to carry around. Instead I use Kindle for iPhone on my iPhone (or eReader for iPhone), as I have that with me anyway and it fits in the pocket.

Not sure yet if the iPad will be light and convenient enough to carry around or if the iPhone will still win out? The Kindle2 is surprisingly heavy compared with the other ereaders - is that the 3G?

How heavy does the iPad feel to carry around please? How does it compare with the Kindle2, or maybe the Kindle DX (which I have not tried either, but they are closer in size)?

Essentially, what we are all thinking of is a PADD from Star Trek - as long as it does not sound like Majel Barrett-Roddenberry :)

It is going to take a while before we get one of those, so until then we use what we can get. Either way, it doesn't do any harm to dream or to discuss what we would really like to see.

Thoughts please?

I do not own an iPad (yet), but I had my hands on several at BestBuy and Apple store and, even tho it is heavier than expected, it is pretty light man! I could hold it with one hand during quite a long time. I think it would be easy to carry around. I don't know how heavy a netbook is tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
My dream iPad is the one I bought, it it wasn't I would not have bought it. When new generation iPads are released and if they do what I want at that time, then great, I'll eBay the one I have and get a newer unit.

OP
V
Reaction score
My dream iPad is the one I bought, it it wasn't I would not have bought it. When new generation iPads are released and if they do what I want at that time, then great, I'll eBay the one I have and get a newer unit.

That's what I'm gonna do :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
That's what I'm gonna do :)

Thanks - that gives me a great excuse not to wait for the second or third generation as I did with iPhone - and as my brain is telling me to do now. My heart tells me to be standing outside the nearest Apple store on day 1.

Now I have a valid reason to do so :)

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks - that gives me a great excuse not to wait for the second or third generation as I did with iPhone - and as my brain is telling me to do now. My heart tells me to be standing outside the nearest Apple store on day 1.

Now I have a valid reason to do so :)

As long as we motivate each other we will all end up happy with an iPad lol...

Take the iPhone. People who had the first gen sold them at lowprice to people who wanted an iPhone but couldn't afford the 2nd gen. Same will happen with the iPad. Reminds me when I was little, I really wanted a video game but had to wait for someone to resell it cheaper to be able to buy it.

We're all good guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Take the iPhone. People who had the first gen sold them at lowprice to people who wanted an iPhone but couldn't afford the 2nd gen. Same will happen with the iPad.!

When I upgraded to the 3g from the 1st gen. iPhone I sold the 1st gen. to the lady in line behind me at best buy for $200 ! And when I went to the 3gs I sold my 3g on craigslist for $300 so as of now I have up graded twice and the only money I have taken out of my pocket was the $500 I paid for the 1st gen. !

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
And just remember USB on an ipad means the ipad would have to have the power (amperage) to power the USB ports. And that would eat into the battery life a lot I would think. Unless the USB worked when the ipad was charging. But then you'd be plugging: devive via usb to ipad and that same ipad is usb connected to uour Mac. A little pointless, why not jsut ship the ipad and plug the device into the mac.

For those reasons I think usb on the ipad at the moment is not really practical.

Unpowered ports are part of the USB standard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.