Does the WiFi-model has GPS?

Reaction score
I dont think the Apple specs at the homepage are clear about this.
Do all models have GPS but the 3G version supports assisted GPS?

C

chas_m

No. Only the 3G model has GPS.

The Wifi only model can do things like Google Maps and basic (static) location services using wifi triangulation (ie the same way my 2G iPhone does it), but cannot do real GPS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
No GPS but it does have the Maps app, which benefits a lot from the larger screen size.

Reaction score
Hi, guys and gals! New to the i-world (never owned an iPod or iPhone before), but I'm thinking of maybe getting an iPad. I wanted something that would work for RSS, podcasts, and as an e-book reader for commuting, basic GPS and music player while on my motorcycle (small size could fit in the map pocket of a tank bag), and basic browsing / skype for whenever. NetFlix and the rest is just gravy.

So, quick questions - Will the Maps app work with real- or at least near-time position updating? Will that always require that I be in range of a 3g signal? Can I play audio in the background while having the Maps app up on the screen?

Reaction score
Hi, guys and gals! New to the i-world (never owned an iPod or iPhone before), but I'm thinking of maybe getting an iPad. I wanted something that would work for RSS, podcasts, and as an e-book reader for commuting, basic GPS and music player while on my motorcycle (small size could fit in the map pocket of a tank bag), and basic browsing / skype for whenever. NetFlix and the rest is just gravy.

So, quick questions - Will the Maps app work with real- or at least near-time position updating? Will that always require that I be in range of a 3g signal? Can I play audio in the background while having the Maps app up on the screen?

If you get the 3G model, it should give you near time position updating but for that, you need the 3G.

As for playing music while using Maps, I am pretty sure it can be done (at least I can do it on my iPhone and from what I know you can do it on an iPad. I will double check at my local BestBuy store for you).

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm hoping I can get to BB or maybe even the Apple Store in the next few days to play with one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
No. Only the 3G model has GPS.

The Wifi only model can do things like Google Maps and basic (static) location services using wifi triangulation (ie the same way my 2G iPhone does it), but cannot do real GPS.

Incorrect. Neither has true GPS, but the 3G model will get you approximate location with cell tower triangulation. It'll get kind of close, but nowhere nearGPS percition. And apps with GPS location assist won't work with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
I do believe if you get the data plan you can get GPS. I just logged onto Google Earth and it asked to use my current location. I'm using wifi and it put me on my street. I can see my house with a blue pin by it. With a data plan it should track your movements like the iPhone.

Sorry, I've been corrected by the person above me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's just inaccurate to say that it has GPS. That leads people to think it actually has dedicated GPS hardware that connects with global positioning satellites when it doesn't.

As far as the location assist in apps, the iPhone apps I've loaded onto mine so far have not worked with their locating features. It may work for some, in which case I am wrong, but I just haven't seen it work yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.