G4 STARTING ISSUES broken item on board.

D

darque

hey guys,

I took my machine into a mac service place an they told me my 1gighrtz single processor g4 needed another power supply; it was having issues staying, and/or turning on.

I looked inside the machine assessing how much effort it would be in changing the power supply myself and noticed a small loose fuse/conductor/thingy (?) (IDK the name)

There are two identical items like this right next to each other sitting directly in front of the black adapter that bridges the logicboard and the power supply.
I want to say they are approx 1/4 inch tall & 1/4 inch round that looks like it would live in junction C10 or C11? there are +- on either side of these parts (on the motherboard) I was going to try to solder the part so it would be solid again, but....

it busted off? does anyone A) know what this part is and B) if this would greatly effect the power issue with the G4. hehehehe my bad?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could be a loose electro capacitor but in order to make sure, you need to get hold of either a service manual for your machine or service schematic. Soldering it back together may or may not work. But if you feel daring and have a fire extinguisher on hand, give it a go. :p

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.