Adobe CS5 Suite supporting intel macs only ???

D

darque

this is the biggest disappointment I ever heard Apple announce

Adobe CS5 only working on an intel mac...***? i am sure there are plenty of people that think i am an outdated 30 year old cause i am complaining about this, but all my g5's and G4's are working just fine...on CS4

forcing us to purchase new systems because ours is too antiquated to run a newer platform (like OS 9 to Os 10)is one thing but mix this with a software manufacturer as well? HOW MUCH BETTER WILL Cocopuff64 be?

i have also heard adobe will stop offering flash updates for certain older MAC models as well...YET AGAIN FORCING OUR HANDS...

CS5 will run fine on the PC ? So why ?
has apple jumped the shark?

DOES EVERYONE NEED "ALL" OUR MONEY?

Reaction score
We've known for a while.. Actually since Snow Leopard was announced, that Apple was cutting support from PPC based Macs.

Such is life though. You're often forced to upgrade from a lot of stuff if you want to keep getting the newest technology and electronics products.

Honestly though, is CS5 worth it for you? Are the new features something you must have right away? Or are you just voicing your displeasure?

I mean, I understand being upset, but again, this has been known for quite a while.

OP
C

chas_m

this is the biggest disappointment I ever heard Apple announce

????

I love how some people can make *ANYTHING* Apple's fault.

Adobe CS5 only working on an intel mac...***?

Welcome to the year 2010, Rip Van Winkle! Hope you enjoyed your nap! :)

Seriously, this surprises you why? Apple hasn't sold a PPC machine in over five years. Going to all-Intel saves Adobe (literally) millions in development costs. Seems like kind of a no-brainer to me, and this is hardly the first time its happened.

i am sure there are plenty of people that think i am an outdated 30 year old cause i am complaining about this, but all my g5's and G4's are working just fine...on CS4

And they will stop working when CS5 is released because .... nope, sorry, I don't know. Why do you think they will stop working?

forcing us to purchase new systems because ours is too antiquated to run a newer platform

First of all, nobody is making you buy CS5. I've been skipping every other release of CSx, with absolutely no ill effects.

Secondly, if you're a serious graphic artist (pretty much the main people who use the full CSx suite), you should be replacing your machines at LEAST every five years. Meaning you're overdue.

i have also heard adobe will stop offering flash updates for certain older MAC models as well...YET AGAIN FORCING OUR HANDS...

Good thing *APPLE* is trying to push HTML5 as an alternative, which runs GREAT on older systems ... oh I'm sorry did I just stick a pin in your conspiracy-theory balloon? Oops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
This is hardly as in-depth as the other comments, but considering the fact that it took until 10.6.2 for CS3 to be supported on SL when it was only one generation behind, it's hardly surprising that they're not supporting hardware that hasn't been manufactured in half a decade.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Intel transition - complete over three and a half years ago. How long are developers expected to support technology that hasn't been produced in over three and a half years?

And I fail to see how this is forcing you to do anything. Is someone forcing you to update Flash or CS? If mindsets such as yours determined software/hardware development, innovation would be stifled by a need to support antiquated technology beyond their years.

OP
D

darque

"forced" is a bit strong...

I was voicing my concern for a COMPANY who creates product upgrades faster than Chas M could quote me. I can appreciate sarcasm and capitalism just fine, yet i need not be a tool for a greedy corporation's R&D; thank you very much.

Microsoft seems to be supporting this product just fine, regardless of version? I have been a loyal MAC supporter since APPLE began and dislike the direction they have been moving towards for some time... I am sure a lot of you love your app-mall iphone, but i do not. I am successful enough to own a home or two; thank you apple, but not successful enough to blindly purchase products that "conspire" me out of those house payments.

"If mindsets such as yours determined software/hardware development, innovation would be stifled by a need to support antiquated technology beyond their years."

Granted vansmith, I am not advocating a return of horse and carriage, lets not get carried away...

"How long are developers expected to support technology that hasn't been produced in over three and a half years, or half a decade?"

Lets see? HMM? why the need to NOT-support it? as if it is not a conscious decision to fill a pocketbook, landfills (sort of kidding) and then technology. Lets not pretend they would have to step-backwards here for photoshop to function on a new MAC! Seriously ?

NO ONE kidnapped my child, "forcing" me to spend money on technology or upgrades literally... i just dislike having to keep up with greed.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I am successful enough to own a home or two; thank you apple, but not successful enough to blindly purchase products that "conspire" me out of those house payments.
That's an odd statement to make. You have the capital to own two homes but you don't have the capital to purchase a new machine and software? Sounds to me like someone wants everything for nothing. You want all the features but you don't want to pay for it. That shouldn't be a problem though if you do have the financial capital you claim to have at your disposal.

Granted vansmith, I am not advocating a return of horse and carriage, lets not get carried away...
How am I getting carried away? I noted that the PPC architecture is in large part antiquated which is to a certain extent true for Macs. My point still stands - trying to support technology that is old and no longer produced is antithetical to innovation and development. Resources can be better spent on creating new features than on worrying about supporting two architectures.

Lets see? HMM? why the need to NOT-support it? as if it is not a conscious decision to fill a pocketbook, landfills (sort of kidding) and then technology.
Here's my question for you then - at what point is it okay for Apple and software developers to cease support for an architecture that is no longer developed? Five years? Ten years? Never?

NO ONE kidnapped my child, "forcing" me to spend money on technology or upgrades literally... i just dislike having to keep up with greed.
Then don't. Problem solved. If you didn't want to keep up with "greed", you'd still be drawing on a piece of paper with a pencil complaining that you didn't want to support the greed of computer companies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
"forced" is a bit strong...

I was voicing my concern for a COMPANY who creates product upgrades faster than Chas M could quote me. I can appreciate sarcasm and capitalism just fine, yet i need not be a tool for a greedy corporation's R&D; thank you very much.

Microsoft seems to be supporting this product just fine, regardless of version? I have been a loyal MAC supporter since APPLE began and dislike the direction they have been moving towards for some time... I am sure a lot of you love your app-mall iphone, but i do not. I am successful enough to own a home or two; thank you apple, but not successful enough to blindly purchase products that "conspire" me out of those house payments.

"If mindsets such as yours determined software/hardware development, innovation would be stifled by a need to support antiquated technology beyond their years."

"How long are developers expected to support technology that hasn't been produced in over three and a half years, or half a decade?"

Lets see? HMM? why the need to NOT-support it? as if it is not a conscious decision to fill a pocketbook, landfills (sort of kidding) and then technology. Lets not pretend they would have to step-backwards here for photoshop to function on a new MAC! Seriously ?

Srsly guy? Wrap your head around this one:

Windows has been running on Intel architecture for about oh, almost 30 decades? The reason there is no "Windows 98 is not going to support CS5" announcement is because it's running on the same basic architecture that Windows 7 uses.

Apple used to run on PPC chips, which takes a different set of instructions to run applications that Intel uses. With the switch, companies would have to write two separate versions of code (hence, universal binary) that would run so that a program would work on a PPC Mac and an Intel Mac at the same time. That's having to write the same code twice. It's that or either use an emulator to run the program which causes negative performance compared to a proprietary program.

That would create more time and money a company would need to invest to create projects. Since Apple is no longer producing PPC based Macs, they're eventually going to phase out. It's inevitable.

Running a business is about creating a profit. There are going to be less and less people using PPC based Apple computers Vs. the people purchasing new Intels as upgrades or as switchers. It macs financial sense for a company to eventually drop support for an obsolete platform. Microsoft has done the same thing. They no longer support old OS'es like Windows 98 and Windows NT. The difference is that the basic designs of those OS'es allow them to run on different hardware. Hardware companies do it as well. You don't see OCZ still producing RAM for 386 machines. Nvidia isn't making GTX 495 GPUs for AGP slots.

You knew it was going to happen. Complaining isn't going to change anything. You're either going to have to live with CS4 for the rest of your life or eventually buy a newer faster Mac.

P.S. MAC is the acronym for Media Access Control which is like the physical address of a piece of hardware. Mac is the type of computer that Apple produces.

OP
D

darque

Touche; my point was not to gloat.

I have been fortunate. i owe a lot to apple, I am however, wondering to what end is technology going? I have been the opposite for most of my life; an advocate for technology... APPLE to my core...

i will not argue "...at what point is it okay for Apple and software developers to cease support for an architecture that is no longer developed?"

that is a loaded question. All i can say is that Microsoft, whether or not antiquated, is supporting this change, Apple is not. maybe apple has their eye on the future, maybe for the better...maybe in a vacuum it all seems clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apple still supports the PPC Macs, and is still releasing security updates for Leopard

Apple did end development for 64 bit carbon, forcing Adobe to rewrite its CS suite in Cocoa, which in the long term will benefit us all, otherwise Adobe would have stuck to its old carbon development.

Adobe could have written its Cocoa apps for both PPC and Intel, but decided not to. So its Adobe who are deciding to end PPC support, not Apple. It may be a shame, but to be honest, CS4 is a great suite of apps, I only hope they make it easy to down save their files, especially InDesign - whose backward compatibility has always been, let's say, less than perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
that is a loaded question. All i can say is that Microsoft, whether or not antiquated, is supporting this change, Apple is not. maybe apple has their eye on the future, maybe for the better...maybe in a vacuum it all seems clear.

There is no change for MS. There's nothing to support. There's no reason why CS5 won't work with Vista or XP. There was no different architecture or process or the way information was passed through the CPUs that they've ran on in ages. There is no reason what-so-ever that CS5 isn't supported on their 10 year old OS.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would create more time and money a company would need to invest to create projects. Since Apple is no longer producing PPC based Macs, they're eventually going to phase out. It's inevitable.
On top of this, look at the processing power of Intel machines compared to PPC Macs. Intel machines are quite a bit faster when used in comparable machines and CS can demand quite a bit from a machine.

i will not argue "...at what point is it okay for Apple and software developers to cease support for an architecture that is no longer developed?"
Why not? It's a valid question that's worth considering from your standpoint? Surely you must think there is some point at which developers can stop supporting old technology. If you do support capitalism which you mentioned earlier, which is predicated on evolving innovation, you must think that the old needs to "die off" so to speak at some point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Thirty decades?

Struth we are behind the times then! And stop the personal insults such as 'Rip Van Winkle'. Not needed and does nothing. Otherwise mods should close this thread.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Sounds like you have some deeper unresolved issues other than just being upset that CS5 is for Intel Macs only!:(

- Nick

OP
D

darque

A clearer direction.

Adobe could have written its Cocoa apps for both PPC and Intel, but decided not to. So its Adobe who are deciding to end PPC support, not Apple. It may be a shame, but to be honest, CS4 is a great suite of apps.

This is the conclusion i came to after trying to clarify my frustration. Yes it is Adobe that i have the true issue with, not Apple. I was a bit vitriolic and frustrated this morning, and i have compartmentalized my issues now, thanks guys.

regarding the CS5 suite: I teach graphic design evenings at the Art Institute Orange County. Ai upgrades all machines and software regularly. I get fully supported CS suites on both platforms (a quarter early) if i am required to instruct students on those products...(oh BTW vansmith, I do enjoy getting things for nothing sometimes... WHO DOESN'T? ever downloaded something you did not pay for???)

My true frustration is that our department will upgrade technology just as before, but now students will have to own an intel mac if they are to use CS5 on the macs; which they will, I will be teaching it in a quarter or two. I already have issues with students cross-platformed multi-suite incompatibility and it will just add another layer of occasional frustration to the whole issue.

Students will live, i will live, and eventually ill buy your used machine using technology as only one tool in a toolbox full of creative items.

Vansmith, this took some time so i hope your still playing... I could argue your obsession with new technology is a form of "bread and circuses" neocons use to keep people's minds off their deteriorating social condition; But i would clearly be dismissed... so i will not.

at what point is it okay for Apple and software developers to cease support?

Decisions are made and components developed that are subsumed into larger and larger systems and, in the process, forgotten. These decisions and components frequently have ethical implications because they shape the nature and value of human waste. the impact of technology is always, to a greater or lesser extent, a consequence of its subsumed components. Since computers, at least for the foreseeable future, are neither free
nor feeling, a clear line of separation divides computers without values
from humans with values. the moral and social impact of technological advancement is rooted in the nature of the technology itself. Ever developing technology does have moral implications.

companies can stop supporting yesterdays products if they desire; it is clearly out of my hands and yours. the only difference i understand that... Do you really think apple or adobe care about your opinion or mine? if a corporation is big enough or think they are big enough to ignore customers then so be it, who am i to say. It still sucks...ill still wonder what is happening at apple and adobe. i appreciate progress, i am not too old to change i just would like to change on my terms not theirs...

goodnight

Reaction score
Well, I suspect many people here might have been sympathetic to your concerns if you had explained the whole student issue with curriculum or school facilities forcing them to upgrade machines prematurely...

Like you I am running a somewhat outdated, but fully functional system. I am currently lamenting the fact that I cannot run the new Lightroom or Aperture 3 on my PPC G5. And I cannot merge iPhoto libraries from a iLife 09 machine onto my Tiger machine.

--

As to the person who suggested that a serious graphic artist should be replacing their equipment every 5 years anyway, that is, quite simply, ridiculous.

There's not a more "serious" designer on the planet than I am, and my CS3-based system has continued to serve me and publishing clients across the country just fine with a six-year-old box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.