• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What am I to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
my wife is setting next to me on her Dell computer. She is so angry right now because she has a virus. I have been telling her for months not to click on anything that pops up and magically tonight she opens IE and boom her system crashes. I don't even feel like arguing with her over a dumb Dell. any suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Dont argue with her. Just go and get her another MB then she will love you forever ... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Getting her a mac would be nice, but in the meantime get her to download Firefox or Chrome and block pop-ups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I had a Dell years back.... I'm still getting over it :eek:
Just show her love and understanding, and listen, without doing what us men try to do, which is to give advice. If you are married, you should know by now that our listening skills are needed at a time like this..... I'm single, but I remember this to be very important!
Agreed with TattooedMac and Louishen on this one, and if you can afford it, a Mac would be a great gift :D

Reaction score
Ugh.. Dell Laptops.. I swear, We've had 3 Dell Inspiron Laptops in our family and all 3 crapped out before a year.

Got myself a MacBook and it's been going like new since 2007. This thing honestly has paid for itself.

Reaction score
I can't say that about Dell. My Inspiron went to Iraq with me and survived high heat, sand and dust for a year. The only item that needed to be replaced was the CDROM and they shipped it to me with no hassle.

Mind you I love my Mac more, but my Dell was a decent box at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I can't say that about Dell. My Inspiron went to Iraq with me and survived high heat, sand and dust for a year. The only item that needed to be replaced was the CDROM and they shipped it to me with no hassle.

Mind you I love my Mac more, but my Dell was a decent box at the time.

You are one of very very few with a good Dell story, not only with it working, but also for any form of customer service from Dell!
Count your lucky stars, and perhaps even buy a lottery ticket :D

Reaction score
You are one of very very few with a good Dell story, not only with it working, but also for any form of customer service from Dell!

Perhaps, but that was just my personal experience with them. I work with their servers all the time and constantly use their customer support and have few problems to be honest.

I think that customer support falls on how to you talk to a person. When people call, they tend to be very upset and yell. This will shut any person down right away and it can happen with any company. Heck we even have a guy here that is bashing Apple customer support due to how he is being treated. I'm willing to bet that his attitude is what is really the overall problem, not Apple's. Dell has far from the worst customer support out there and calling a company with threats right out of the gate will get you nowhere fast. I try to be courteous and calm when talking with them as they are my source for getting aid when needed.

You would be surprised what you can get when you are nice to someone and take a small interest in how their day is going.

OP
p3ezi(moto)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dont argue with her. Just go and get her another MB then she will love you forever ... :)

i wish. don't ya think if I could buy a new laptop for her I'd have my MBP already instead of plotting how to get it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps, but that was just my personal experience with them. I work with their servers all the time and constantly use their customer support and have few problems to be honest.

I think that customer support falls on how to you talk to a person. When people call, they tend to be very upset and yell. This will shut any person down right away and it can happen with any company. Heck we even have a guy here that is bashing Apple customer support due to how he is being treated. I'm willing to bet that his attitude is what is really the overall problem, not Apple's. Dell has far from the worst customer support out there and calling a company with threats right out of the gate will get you nowhere fast. I try to be courteous and calm when talking with them as they are my source for getting aid when needed.

You would be surprised what you can get when you are nice to someone and take a small interest in how their day is going.

I totally agree with you in regards to the outcome of any situation based on attitude and approach!
You could find many of my posts here in regards to my take on a non confrontational approach when approaching Apple if there is an issue in order to obtain resolution to a given situation.
I myself, and many others, have had nothing but nightmares with Dell, and when dealing with Dell, when it comes to customer service/support unfortunately.

OP
p3ezi(moto)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I myself, and many others, have had nothing but nightmares with Dell, and when dealing with Dell, when it comes to customer service/support unfortunately.

agreed...since I made that switch I will never go back to Windows based products, I hate 'em. Never had any experience with Dell CS but I loved the people who worked at the Genius bar both times I went. Really have no need for CS except for warranty issues.
* if you want respect, give respect. it's the underestimated solution to all problems in life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
i wish. don't ya think if I could buy a new laptop for her I'd have my MBP already instead of plotting how to get it

Yep i see where your coming from mate and feel for you :(

TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
"Honey, I told you that would happen, but you didn't listen to me."

Wife picks up Dell and smashes husband over the head with it. When he comes to, he finds that she has taken over his MacBook.

"This is so much better, sweetie."

And they live happily ever after...

Reaction score

Wife picks up Dell and smashes husband over the head with it. When he comes to, he finds that she has taken over his MacBook.

LOL...

It all started in my house with the Mrs. wanting a light and portable computer. The MBA was new and we bought one for her. Slowly Apple permeated the house and my lowly Windows box (only used for some gaming and as a file server) sits in the basement all alone.

Don't get me wrong, I know that Dell has CS issues and I am certain that some folks can rattle off the horror stories but sometimes the ones we hear are due to the complainer rather than the company. Would I buy a Dell again? Only if I was forced to do so. I like my Mac and won't be going back to Windows anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
I have a simple solution.
Your wife uses a PC ,, divorce her or make her leave the home till she see's sense. In the mean time, you go to an Apple store, meet a hot girl who already owns Mac's and let her sit in your bed using her Mac while you use yours.

You dont have to kiss her or anything like that, just use your Mac's together.

Perhaps my plan would fail :[

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I'm another. I support well over 1000 Dell machines on a daily basis for the past 11 years and they are rock solid. Dell's customer service is also excellent (mind you, we PAY for the gold warranty support).

People love to pick on Dell because they don't want to pay for the upgraded support and then are surprised when it sucks. Let me tell ya, the reason you get great support from Apple is that YOU PAY FOR IT, but it's included the price of the machine. Don't expect the same when you're buying a cut rate machine.

Dell's hardware is usually pretty good, but when you buy a disposable system (sub $500), don't be surprised when it fails.

At the end of the day, the old adage still rings true - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

OP
p3ezi(moto)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

that's a real good one

OP
p3ezi(moto)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a simple solution.
Your wife uses a PC ,, divorce her or make her leave the home till she see's sense. In the mean time, you go to an Apple store, meet a hot girl who already owns Mac's and let her sit in your bed using her Mac while you use yours.

You dont have to kiss her or anything like that, just use your Mac's together.

Perhaps my plan would fail :[

haha, complete fail. i can see the problems now. i got rid of her your Honor because she failed to realize the potential of Apple computer products!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm another. I support well over 1000 Dell machines on a daily basis for the past 11 years and they are rock solid. Dell's customer service is also excellent (mind you, we PAY for the gold warranty support).

People love to pick on Dell because they don't want to pay for the upgraded support and then are surprised when it sucks. Let me tell ya, the reason you get great support from Apple is that YOU PAY FOR IT, but it's included the price of the machine. Don't expect the same when you're buying a cut rate machine.

Dell's hardware is usually pretty good, but when you buy a disposable system (sub $500), don't be surprised when it fails.

At the end of the day, the old adage still rings true - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Maybe Dell just doesn't stand so strong here in Oz.
I got my Dell because I thought this to be true, as for you get what you pay for, and at the time, it was the Apple of it's day as far as quality goes, or so I thought.
It crashed more than I did when I first got my drivers license, and the Customer service, and tech support definitely was far from up to scratch.
With those that I know that have recent models, mostly laptops, it has been on ongoing war between them, their laptops, and Dell.

In saying all that, I do like to pick on Dell, but I did spend a fortune, and the upgraded support that I paid for wasn't given.

Anyways, on a lighter note..... I am very happy with my Macbook, as I was with my Quicksilver before this, and also with all the banter that I get with all of you due to having this Mac thing happening now days :)

I love how these threads can just go anywhere :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.