Please help: Is it my router or my Airport?

Reaction score
About a month ago I purchased a new router because it seemed like my Linksys router had bit the dust. I now have a Netgear WGR614v10 model. Set up was easy and everything was up and running in minutes. A couple weeks later weird stuff started to happen.

A couple times I simply couldn't access my network. Frustrated, I would pretty much just wait it out and a few hours later or the next day it would work just fine. Now the problem is perpetual. Airport now defaults to an unprotected network nearby, which obviously isn't optimal. Sometimes it finds my network, doesn't ask me for the password, and simply "connects" me but there's no signal. Once in a blue moon it DOES ask me for a password and won't connect, giving me one of "Connection failed", "Connection timeout", or "See Administrator". Sometimes it doesn't even list my network at all (this also applies to other networks in the area). This is especially maddening when I go from the unprotected network to my network (just to try and see if it will work), then when my network fails to work it won't find the unprotected one anymore!

I've tried all the standard tricks like refreshing/resetting my modem and router. I've done all the software updates as well. I've also gone into the router setup and everything looks fine (as far as a layman can tell). Are these routers simply junk, is something going on with my Airport, what? Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
One thing you could try before getting too technical is switching your channel on your routers settings from your computer..

If there are a lot of wireless networks using the same channel within your area it could be crossing up your signal.

OP
S
Reaction score
The first thing I tried was from another forum (just because it was the easiest): changing the name of the network. For some reason it's working like a charm so far, it's only been about 5 minutes or so though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.