Early 2008 MBP Caps Lock not working...broken?

Reaction score
Hello all. First time poster.

I have my 2008 15.4" MBP. Running Snow Leopard and I dont think ive ever used the caps lock until this week. We'll it ain't working.

I'm a compsci major so i know about fooling around with the modifier and whatnot, but i think im just missing something.

Anybody got a clue, or should i reinstall SL? (;D)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This might sound silly, but have you tried pressing and holding down the key for a couple of seconds? Apple actually implemented a delay to prevent it from being accidentally triggered and it won't engage like it does on most Windows machines. When it's on, there should be a green light that shines just above the word "caps" on the key itself.

Reinstalling the OS likely won't impact this issue at all. UNIX-based OSes rarely ever need to be reinstalled, this is a bad habit most of us bring over from the Windows world.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thats the thing, I have done every little thing i can other than using the command line. PRAM, holding it down, taking out the battery. It works fine when I had the Windows 7 beta on here. Also lights up when i use an external keyboard. But nadda on using it directly. I dont use it ever, but it bugs me!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
See if this works.
Go to system preferences>keyboard>modifier keys>and where it says caps lock, select "no action" and then press ok.
Then go back and change it back to "caps lock" and press ok.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.