.MKV file converter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
Whats a good, free .mkv file converter? Furthermore, can I convert it into a iTues playable file without degrading the quality a lot? (its 1080p quality video)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Here is an example of 2 free ones that are reported to do what you want. I haven't tested them. This is the first Google result I found. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Why does everyone want it free!

If someone's downloading a fansubbed animé movie for free and don't even want to pay for the CONTENT, why would they want to pay someone ELSE for the ability to access that content?

Obviously I'm not saying people are RIGHT to feel entitled to free software. I personally paid for Mailplane so I could use Gmail which is itself free, despite the fact that it functioned just fine in Safari, and would've also been perfectly adequate in for example Prism, but when there are say, the wonderful selection of browsers that we have, and chat clients, and email clients and music and video players, and even office productivity software, people begin to get USED to that kind of thing. It isn't fair or right, but as spoiled as we often are for choice with free software, open-source and otherwise, it really isn't surprising to me that people begin to feel this entitled.

Also, VLC can often do a competent job of transcoding video and audio to other formats.

iSquint/"TinyVid" is a wonderful, ffmpeg-based one too, though I'm not sure how well it handles the .mkv container format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.