Can't install Windows 7 Ultimate on iMac (late 2009)

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate via BootCamp on a late 2009 iMac for several hours now to no avail.

What happens is, I boot from the Windows 7 install DVD and the installer appears. I can choose between 32-bit and 64-bit windows and format the BootCamp partition as NTFS. It's when I click "next" on this dialog that the process wrong.

The installer just skips the "copying windows files" part of the installation and just stalls at "expanding windows files". I've tried leaving the computer alone for over an hour and it just stays at 0% doing nothing.

I've downloaded the Windows 7 drivers for late 2009 iMacs from Apple and put them on a FAT32 formatted USB-stick with an MBR partition table, this does nothing for me.

I've tried to restore and recreate the windows partition via BootCamp.

I've tried to install both 32-bit and 64-bit windows.

I've successfully managed to install Windows XP on the computer.

Nothing I do seems to work, I just can't get Windows 7 on this machine!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot your iMac with your original install media (Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD) and run Disk Utility. Do a verify and repair on the hard drive to see if there are any errors.

The Windows 7 install dialogs are a bit confusing at first. Just make sure you're selecting the drive C Boot Camp partition and then select the NTFS format. (Must be NTFS for Win 7) If the installer hangs, it may be due to drive errors or a partition error.

Also make sure you're allocating enough space for the Win 7 install. The 32x version needs at least 20 GB, the 64x version around 35 GB. (+ or -)

As for the drivers, it really doesn't matter as they don't get installed until after Win 7 is running and you insert your Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Boot your iMac with your original install media (Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD) and run Disk Utility. Do a verify and repair on the hard drive to see if there are any errors.

The Windows 7 install dialogs are a bit confusing at first. Just make sure you're selecting the drive C Boot Camp partition and then select the NTFS format. (Must be NTFS for Win 7) If the installer hangs, it may be due to drive errors or a partition error.

Also make sure you're allocating enough space for the Win 7 install. The 32x version needs at least 20 GB, the 64x version around 35 GB. (+ or -)

As for the drivers, it really doesn't matter as they don't get installed until after Win 7 is running and you insert your Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD.

Regards.

Thank you for your reply, your tip was indeed helpful.

I tried your suggestion and during the disk repair Disk Utility reported a number of errors and failed to complete the repair.

I found this a bit strange as the computer is brand new, but I decided to back it up, format and do a clean install of Mac OS.

After restoring the computer I tried again to make a BootCamp partition and install Windows 7 on it. The first attempt failed but the second try, for some reason, was successful! Finally after two days of trying to get it working!

And to clarify, the Apple drivers on the USB-stick where not the regular boot camp drivers, but specific drivers for the screen and bluetooth accessories to keep the installer from crashing, and are required to be loaded during the installation of Windows 7 on these new iMacs.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help! For some reason I overlooked the possibility of a corrupt disk since the computer was so new. Shame on me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you're up and running. Enjoy Windows 7!

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.