External Display Help/Suggestion for Macbook Pro 15" Unibody

Reaction score
Hey there everyone!

I'm brand new to this forum, but I've been reading a lot from it for the past years. I've been reading and researching for information on External Displays for my new Macbook Pro but I thought I might as well ask it directly instead, so here goes:

So I just bought a brand new Macbook Pro 15" Unibody (matte screen, yes!) a week ago. Before that I had a Macbook Pro 15" 2.33 Aluminium hooked with a ViewSonic 22" VA2226W. After changing my laptop, I eventually got the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to connecter my ViewSonic display to my new laptop. The problem is that gray area on the screen are flickering. I've tried everything: SMC, PRAM reset, re-installing Leopard, etc.

So with all that said, I'm looking into a new monitor, since my ViewSonic is almost 4 years old. I went to the Apple Store to see the Apple Cinema Display 24", but I'm not 100% sure about the glossy screen, + the price is pretty high (999$ CAD here in Canada). I'm also looking at Dell screens, specifically the S2409W that has a matte screen and is 24" as well, but 300$ instead.

So here's where I need your opinion. I am a freelance Web Developper and can be in front of my screen for over 10 hours a day. What would guys recommend? Should I wait for a refurbished Apple Cinema Diplay 24"? Try and get a Apple Cinema Diisplay 23" (matte)? Or get a normal monitor like a Dell or Samsung?

Any advice, suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. I have used a 20" Philips with built in speakers for a number of years on Macs from PPCs to Intel units. Like its matte screen and they get cheaper each year.
If u will be in front of it for hours and are into DIY then here is an idea;

Click for full size

I know the colours are different but never got round to calibrating it as it was not important to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.