Printing from iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Hello,

For those who have received their fresh fruit :D, has anyone been successful printing from the iPad? I want to purchase an iPad for my elderly in-laws who use a complicated Windoze Vista Box. I want to introduce them to Apple and the simplistic ease of use, without them being frustrated and constant Tech Support calls. They usually just give up when trying to do simple things, typical Windoze OS issues.:(

The iPad would be perfect for their needs (Web Surfing, reading Bible, internet banking). However, I was told they won't use it if you can't print from it. There was an app called ActivePrint 7.3 available, however, its for Windows Boxes on networked printers. That is not an issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Btw, I will wait for 3G model before deciding to get an iPad for myself. Beats waiting for MBP refresh.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It MIGHT be a possibility in the future through either wifi or blutooth, but there would have to be an App which provides specific drivers for various printers. Out of the box, the iPad does not support this.

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The iPad is somewhere between an MacBook and an iPod Touch. It is more of a gadget than a full blown Mac.

Seeing how its primary purpose is for portable viewing and not creating I don't think that there is going to be too much emphasis on printing from it.

Do remember, iWork is available and people will be creating documents on the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
There is an adapter for SD memory cards for the iPad. Theoretically, you could load your docs or images onto the SD card and then plug that card into your printer IF your printer has memory card slots. Mine does. :)
I guess that doesn't help, though, if you wanted to print an e-mail confirmation or a web page.

OP
My_MAC_MBP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Hello,

Yes, I saw the PrintCentral app, and Print & Share. These apps seem promising. The SD Card is an option, but its a little too complex for the in-laws, and I am trying to keep in simple. I can understand why there is no native app for printing (Drivers).

There will be times when you want to print a document: receipt for online purchase, eMail, and iWork document. My father-in-law wants to use speech to text for his Sunday Sermon, then print the document.

Reaction score
ipad Printing

Hello,

For those who have received their fresh fruit :D, has anyone been successful printing from the iPad? I want to purchase an iPad for my elderly in-laws who use a complicated Windoze Vista Box. I want to introduce them to Apple and the simplistic ease of use, without them being frustrated and constant Tech Support calls. They usually just give up when trying to do simple things, typical Windoze OS issues.:(

The iPad would be perfect for their needs (Web Surfing, reading Bible, internet banking). However, I was told they won't use it if you can't print from it. There was an app called ActivePrint 7.3 available, however, its for Windows Boxes on networked printers. That is not an issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Btw, I will wait for 3G model before deciding to get an iPad for myself. Beats waiting for MBP refresh.:D

Yes, I was successful from printing from my iPad.
There are multiple applications out there to print with. I did some research and came upon a product called Cortado workplace. its a free product. And it worked for me. I’m sure it will work for you.
I gave it a try, since its free, I was able to print Wi-Fi to my printer at home. I took my iPad and was able to print to my friends house using Bluetooth. and I also took it to work and I was able to print at work.

With this product I was able to print any document to any printer, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.

Here is a link. www.cortado.com/worplace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
With a 3rd party app now (and eventually 4.0) could one print from the ipad by sending the print info wi-fi to an Apple extreme base station and then wired to the printer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I need something for a wifi or blue tooth printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.