Is all this legal?

Reaction score
My roommate uses AT&T DSL (windows) to get online. In addition, he's also plugged into WiFi. When I purchased a used Apple laptop for practically free, he suggested, I also buy a small $29 device which is plugged into one of my USB ports which I did. At a cost to me of zero, I'm using both DSL and WiFi, both of which seem to be working fine. However, I'm concerned about the legality of this arrangement. My roommate dismisses me as an old lady.

Is AT&T my ISP or is WiFi? If all this is really legal, to whom would I go for settings questions were I to need them? My roommate doesn't respond to these queries and gets annoyed when I press for basic information. The WiFi part of this arrangement is totally greek to me, I understand no part of it.

I welcome comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your roommate sounds like he has a DSL line from AT&T, basically a landline to the internet through a phone line.

He also has Wifi, basically he has a Router, which allows any computer locally to connect to his router wirelessly, you connect to the router through Wifi and the router connects to the phone line and AT&T. A router is basically a bridge, providing wireless access to computers while itself being physically connected to the phone network, much like a cordless phone base station is connected to the phone line, but lets you use a cordless phone anywhere in the house.

So its not illegal, sounds like he is being very generous, allowing you to connect to his router for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP MC118B/A, iPhone 3GS 16gb
wifi is a way of connection to your isp - at&t

technically its his isp, your just receiving a connection from him.

he is being very decent in giving you that line free, if it were me id ask for 50% of the bill lol

so be greatfull while you have it the guys doing you a favour.

and yes - 100000% legal.

OP
P
Reaction score
I can't tell how grateful I am to you and "louihsen" for providing such textbook insight for me. When I discussed this again with my roomie, he was astonished by my new found "intelligence." I expressed my new found appreciation for his generosity. It's incredible how much a few words can turn things around — we have a bunch of happier guys for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Most of Apple laptops in the last few years have a wireless capability built in - are you sure you need the USB device, in other words check in Apple Menu > About this Mac > More info and then select Airport and if u see something similar to this you don't need the USB dothingy.

Click for full size

OP
P
Reaction score
What a brief thrill it was when I read your post. I did as you suggested, saw "Airport Card" as you predicted, but it was down hill from there "No information found."

My Apple iBook g3 running OS 10.3.9 (Panther) is a dinosaur.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think you get a few respect points for keeping that old G3 alive and kicking :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.