• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

So are we all having wifi issues?

Reaction score
Lots of others on the official Apple forum are, so am I. Weak wifi signal and then it will completely drop every 10-15 minutes and you have to log back on to your network. Not good.

Reaction score
Lots of others on the official Apple forum are, so am I. Weak wifi signal and then it will completely drop every 10-15 minutes and you have to log back on to your network. Not good.

Over here in California it's been smooth sailing. Have another router just to test?

Take it back to apple tomorrow. Repeat problem. New iPad.

I've had a few crashed apps but wifi is a cracking.

Paulie

Sent from my iPad

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd like to know what they're using. Mine is just flat out flying connected to my first gen TC using 'n'. Have not tried it on my D-Link yet, but I'll get to it. Maybe I'll visit a B&N this morning to test it there.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'd like to know what they're using. Mine is just flat out flying connected to my first gen TC using 'n'. Have not tried it on my D-Link yet, but I'll get to it. Maybe I'll visit a B&N this morning to test it there.

I am using my Sprint Overdrive mobile hotspot. This is for sure a widespread problem. More threads are popping up about it. I am taking this back tomorrow...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Wifi forgets settings ...
Apple - Support - Discussions - Weak wifi ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Not one WiFi, nor any other issues at all on my 32 gig model.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The first poster there is using a hidden SSID. This is a well known issue on Macs for a lot of folks and really no need for it while using WPA2.

Can see how this would ruin the experience for a great many. I'd suggest some do some testing. My initial tests with speedtest.net:

Download speeds
20410 at my n only network where I'm usually sitting.
1176 on my combo g+n network at the opposite end of the house
21563 on the same g+n network from the same side of the house

And the reason I have two wireless networks to begin with. My experience has been no different with my Macs.

Have had no issue in moving back and forth between them either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
no issues with wifi at all. I've used it at four places. Mac store, Panera, Local Library and home. Everything went smoothly at all four places.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well dammit. I am down here at Starbucks and my iPad is working perfect on their wifi here. Appears to be an issue with my mobile hotspot. That sucks, I can't come to Starbucks every time I want to use it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
No problems with my 32GB. Wifi is alot faster than I expected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I also am using a hidden network but on a airport extreme N, it runs perfect and as fast as my MacBook.

OP
M
Reaction score
Seems my issue was the password on my router. Disabled it and have not had any issues since.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbell, were you using WEP on the router? Another issue we've seen a lot. Just changing to WPA seems to take care of it.

Reaction score
Well dammit. I am down here at Starbucks and my iPad is working perfect on their wifi here. Appears to be an issue with my mobile hotspot. That sucks, I can't come to Starbucks every time I want to use it

If I may ask, do you pay something to use WiFi at Starbucks or can anyone who has ATT&T use it there?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One issue I have noticed with my friends iPod Touch and my iPhone, WPA on some routers using AES. Could not connect. Changed the router to TKIP and all was fine. Same issue with one Sony PS3 also on the same router.

Reaction score
iPad Wi Fi intermittent signal strength behavior

I was having some issues last night over at my parents house. It never dropped a signal but I did notice two things:

1 - the signal fluctuated in strength significantly over time
2 - the download speeds were pretty slow on occasion.

I don't seem to be having the same issue from my home so I have to wonder if it was my parents new WiFi / Cable Modem combo router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
No wifi trouble at all with my home network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.