Help! My G4 tower won't start.

Reaction score
Hi. I hope someone can help me. My G4 tower won't start. It was on during a power loss and won't come back on. This happened once before several years ago and a tech at work was able to fix it for me. I remember him pushing some sort of 'reset' button inside. I opened up my G4, but can't find this reset button.

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers,
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
what is the model type? The G4 is not a machine model, merely a processor class (The MPC 75xx) I assume Power Mac G4, but is it silver or graphite colored? do the drives have a chrome cover?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You also might want to check your PRAM battery. It should be 3.6 Volts DC. When it's dead issues like yours can happen.

OP
S
Reaction score
You also might want to check your PRAM battery. It should be 3.6 Volts DC. When it's dead issues like yours can happen.

Thanks for this tip. The previous suggestion worked, but I'll keep an eye on this if the problem re-occurs.

Cheers,
Ben

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have all my OSX Macs set to update the date and time right at startup. I have had a dead PRAM battery for ages and did not know till all of a sudden it would not even post.

Reaction score
I have all my OSX Macs set to update the date and time right at startup. I have had a dead PRAM battery for ages and did not know till all of a sudden it would not even post.

Good Point...Im just not an automatic guy:Oops:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good Point...Im just not an automatic guy:Oops:

I just like to be sure the time is dead on. With Windows unless you go force it, it takes days till the next update. I love OSX as it seems to always be checking the time with the server.

Reaction score
I just like to be sure the time is dead on. With Windows unless you go force it, it takes days till the next update. I love OSX as it seems to always be checking the time with the server.

I work on windows machines by day and after a while you dont want to see or hear the word..... A u t o m a t i c.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.