MacBook Pro 13-inch + new HDD, RAM & Battery

Reaction score
OK, so I bought my lovely 13-inch MacBook Pro(June 2009 model), last summer, in the middle of August. I have 2x1GB DDR3, 160GB HDD ... or with other words, the most basic version of it. So now, my battery is getting old and it needs to be changed, It has a little bit more than 200 cycles(do you think it needs to be changed?)
I would like to put a bigger hard drive, something like 750GB, or 1TB.
I would like to put 2x2GB DDR3 RAM, instead of the current 2x1GB DDR3.
And I would like to change my battery also. I live in Michigan, so can you please tell me if I am doing the right thing just upgrading my current laptop a little bit, or I just need to buy a better one? And can you please tell me how much it is going to cost me, with let's say, 750GB HDD, 2x2GB DDR3, and a brand new battery from Apple.
I will probably go to the closest Apple store and tell them what I want, and they will do it for me, but how much do you think this would cost me? And do you thing this is a good idea?
Do you think that Apple would take less money if I don't want my old parts(the 160GB HDD and 2x1GB DDR3?) I mean, if I buy the other stuff will they sell it to me for less or they don't care about that, they will just sell it for the regular price and put the old stuff in a bag and that's it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can certainly go to your local Apple store and have them do the upgrades for you. They would love to take your money... :D

But unless you like giving money away to Apple, why don't you do the upgrades yourself? Upgrading memory and the hard drive are not difficult and neither will void your warranty as long as you don't break anything while doing it.

As for cost, go to this web site and price the memory and hard drive. It's the "Other World Computing" on line store. They stock memory and hard drives for your Mac. Their prices are fair and their customer service top notch. They also have videos on how to upgrade your memory and hard drive.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
R
Reaction score
So, I checked my battery life with that Coconut Battery software and it has 88% life, and it is not calibrated, so I guess I can get at least 91-92% out of it if I do calibrate it. And I have exactly 180 cycles. So I think I don't need to get a new battery for it. It still has life in it.

And I got the links, I like the stuff and I picked those two things, just tell me if they will fit the inside of my laptop and if they will be able to work properly in it.

Western Digital 1TB 5200rpm - 2.5 inch
2x2GB DDR3 1066MHz Kingston

I just need you to tell me if I am going to be able to order those, get them and put them inside my laptop, by myself without unneeded sweating and swearing, just with a couple minutes of work and to be done. Tell me if it will work for sure and if those two things are a good choice and is there going to be a change in the battery life, I mean if the battery will die easily or it won't make any difference.

And I also saw some "How To?" videos on the internet, showing how to properly un-screw the bottom of it and how to properly do it. And it seems pretty easy, I just need to be a little careful, to remember which thing goes where and I will be fine. As far as the video showed it wasn't that hard, it's just a little slow because we want our work done well.

Thank you very much! Hopefully you will help me, and I will order as soon as possible my stuff and put it in my laptop and be very happy!

OP
R
Reaction score
So, I am planning on doing that really soon. I have 320GB External Hard Drive from Western Digital and I am planning on just Backing-Up my laptop with Time Machine and then I will take out my old 160GB HDD from my laptop and put the 1TB HDD. Then I will just turn it on, hopefully it won't be something very hard or something and I will install the Mac OS X 10.6
What do you guys think is this the right thing to do? And then I will just Retrieve the Backed-Up Files from the External HD to the internal new 1TB.
Do you guys think that this is possible? And do you think that it will be really hard to install the operating system on the brand new Hard Drive(1TB)? Because it is gonna be out of the box? And is this the right thing to do, the way that I am planning it? Tell me what to do?
Tell me the easiest and best way to put my whole hard drive(with all the files) on the new one that I am going to buy and put on the laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
R
Reaction score
OK, so I went here: Data Storage Upgrades for your Apple MacBook Pro 2.26GHz (13-inch Unibody w/SD card slot) - June 2009 at OtherWorldComputing.com
And I found really good hard drives. But as you guys said I will be probably able to put only up to 500GB because of the space that I have. But look, it asked me to put exactly what laptop I have, what month, year, specs and stuff ... I put everything exactly like what it is. And it showed me 1TB hard drives. And it made me put what my laptop is so that they can tell me what is compatible with my laptop. So guys, please search here and tell me which one should I get. I am looking for the most memory(640GB or 1TB) but if you are completely sure I won't be able to be able to put it because of space issues, then recommend me the biggest one that would fit the space in my MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.26GHz Jun 2009.
Thank you!
And I found out where to get the enclosure from, how to connect it to the drive and how to clone the old drive and put it on the new. Thank you for that also!
I just want help, to pick the right HARD DRIVE! Please help me!
And tell me is the space exactly 9.5mm or I can put like 10mm ? Please help me out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They come in 2.5" 9.5mm or 12.5mm high
You need the 2"5 9.5mm SATA HD
You can get the 500GB or the 640GB in the 2.5" 9.5mm form factor that you need.
I would sway towards the 7K500 that I mentioned above, and use your external drive for as much large storage as you need.

To clone the drive, download Carbon Copy Cloner, clone your drive to the new drive in the external enclosure, and then simply change the drive.

To change the drive is easy.
Here's the teardown guide.
Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Hard Drive Replacement - iFixit

Enjoy your new HD :)

OP
R
Reaction score
OK, Thank you so so much for everything! Here is what I picked!
I am going to get this enclosure - OWC Express 2.5" Portable USB 2.0 Enclosure... (ES2.5BPU2S) at OWC

But look at the 640GB Hard Drive it says 9.5mm - or + 0.20mm and is that gonna affect something somehow? 640GB 2.5" Western Digital Scorpio Blue 540... (WD6400BEVT) at OWC

And even the 500GB from Western Digital says 9.5 + or - 0.20mm, is that a lot and can it affect the bottom part of the laptop, I mean can it make the bottom of the laptop stick out a little bit because of it, or they are saying that because when it is cold it shrinks and when it is hot it gets big, because it is normal to be like that but I can't imagine these 0.20mm so I don't know if they are important or I should just go for the 640GB.
And I want as much internal memory as possible. So Do you think I should just go with 500GB or I should get the 640GB WD HDD and it will fit perfectly?
Please help here.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! IT WAS REALLY HELPFUL! I ALSO HAVE THE TOOL KIT, so I will be able to do it myself.
And tell me is the enclosure that I picked gonna work with the 640GB Western Digital and the Hitachi?
THANK YOU!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Scorpio Blue, as much as it's larger, it's a slower HD.
It's 5400RPM instead of the Hitachi which is 7200RPM.
The enclosure will work with either.
Both the HDs will fit, as that .2mm is insignificant. There is around 3mm of space left which is for circulation.
You will be able do it yourself with the tools!

Some people have had better success than others with clones, so if you find that this method doesn't do the trick for you as far as speed increase with the new 7200RPM HD, you may want look at http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...raded-hd-hitachi-7k500-long-boot-up-time.html

OP
R
Reaction score
OK, so I am now about to order the HDD that you recommended me(The Hitachi with 7200RPM) from Amazon, because I have money on my account there but I have a problem picking RAM for the laptop so, please can you find RAM on Amazon that suits my laptop best and it will work without any problem?
I picked that one, do you think it is a good one, and do you think it will work in my Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 13 inch. --> Amazon.com: Corsair CM3X2GSD1066 2GB PC3-8500 1066MHz DDR3 204-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop Memory: Computer & Accessories

I have to buy it from Amazon and I want it to be sold and shipped by Amazon because I don't want to receive 2 packages I want to get one package with everything in it, so keep that in mind when you are searching for RAM on Amazon. Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the one :)

OP
R
Reaction score
OK man, thank you very much for your help! You really helped me! I ordered it last night and it says that it will ship by Thursday. I hope the guys from Amazon will ship it sooner, like Tuesday at the latest(I chose the FREE Super Saver). And I expect it on Saturday! I really want to get it next Saturday(May 8th) and I will put everything on it and then I will retrieve the backed-up data. Now I just need to wait and get my hard drive in the Mail. I can't wait. I am so excited, I will have so much space and it will be also fast! I am really excited. And thank you again for everything. If I have any further questions I will ask you again. Thanks

OP
R
Reaction score
So I got the Hard Drive and the RAM, I got the ones that you told me to get on Wednesday. On Thursday I installed Mac OS X again, on the new hard drive and I retrieved the backed-up files from my old hard drive, without Cloning it. Today(Friday) I installed Windows 7 with Boot Camp. I followed everything from a site and it works perfect. I made a partition - 80GB. But I don't think it is going to be enough for me now, I can feel that I like the Windows, so I might want a little bit more. Is there any way that I can get more memory now(with 2 Operating Systems) or it is too late now, I've gotta install the Windows again and make a new Partition.

And another question. If I get really tired from the Windows and I want to delete it, but total, absolute, complete delete. No file left. I just want to have my Mac OS X left on my 500GB. Tell me what should I do and is it easy. It would be really helpful for me because after a month I am moving so I will need to have more space on my laptop so I will just go with my Mac OS X but for now I want something new. So please tell me how can i demolish the partition with Windows and have the 500GBs only for my Mac. Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.