Drawing Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5.6
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some drawing programs.?

I am currently using flash as i like the smoothing on the brush. Is there any other programs good for drawing which has this feature and layers n such..?

Thanks in advance

Tyler

Reaction score
Adobe Photoshop is one of my personal favorites. It can be a little difficult to learn, but once you do drawing and editing becomes a lot easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
If you're interested in smaller, more indie software developers, you can check out these two:

Scribbles, by atebits - This is a pretty innovative program, but I've never used it myself.

Acorn, by Flying Meat - This is a very good app, with many of the major features of bigger packages like Photoshop built in. Plus, you can use it for free with very few features blocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Along the indie line, Pixelmator is pretty nice software for only $60. I've used both it and Photoshop (CS3 still) and I must say it stacks up pretty nicely.

Reaction score
Suggested drawing program

First a distinction. A "drawing" program is vector based as compared with a "painting" program that is bitmapped based. Some applications have a little of each.

I was a long time MacCraw and ClarisDraw user long past when they were discontinued. When I finally adopted OSX they were no longer supported. The best substitute I've found is Intaglio. You can get it at Welcome To Purgatory Design

Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I'm not sure if it fits jejennings definition of a "drawing" program, bit I've used Artrage (albeit badly) and it's pretty great software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Also, don't forget about Photoshop's vector-based sibling, Illustrator. It's probably more similar to Flash than Photoshop is. As other replies have pointed out, though, it really comes down to what you mean by “drawing.”

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I like SketchBookPro for doing really quick renderings. It's just like a sketchbook and the ruler tool is so cool. ^-^" Works really great with a tablet.

For vector drawings I would have to say Illustrator hands down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.