ipad - charging via usb issue/problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Ipad - charging via usb issue/problem
This is only appening to a small number of users mind you. But it has been reported. So best to read these 2 links on the issue.

iPad: Charging the battery
The official Apple link on the issue

Some users find iPad not charging on USB ports | Electronista
A nice link with a lot of information on the issue. A good idea to read this too.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/
And this is the official Apple link on their portable computing batteries. Worth a read to learn things on how to properly look after your battery.

Reaction score
Mine will not charge on a standard USB 2.0 port on my Windows PC. I didn't really expect this but it isn't a big deal. I'm guessing that someone felt that the typical USB 2.0 couldn't drive enough current to recharge the battery. I'm not certain if this is something Apple did internally or whether it's some sort of detection on the USB port itself.

jom

Reaction score
Interesting. Not uncommon prob for USB devices. Some require more power then ports put out. But because of the hype Apple will catch flak for this.

Went to Apple store when my sister brought hers. Store employee told to use wall charger to charge.

No probes for me on my Macbook pro.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Doesn't surprise me at this point. Just charging my iPhone blew the USB ports on the Dell I use at the office and had to put an add-in card in it.

This is what happens with some manufacturers using the least expensive parts they can find for everything that goes into a computer. It's also why I refuse to custom build a machine for friends that are on a tight budget. You can't buy any decent over the counter parts as cheaply as Dell, HP and all those companies can build a low end box.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guess I can add my MBP to that list. It does not charge connected to either of the USB ports on my late '06 model.

Can't tell you how long the battery lasts yet. Used it off and on for maybe 6-7 hours yesterday and 4 so far this morning. Was sitting at 45% charge when I plugged it in just now.

Reaction score
Guess I can add my MBP to that list. It does not charge connected to either of the USB ports on my late '06 model.

Mine also won't work on MBP '06. And really the power cord is way to short to use (is that cheap Apple or what?). I'm trying to sit in my chair only 4 ft away from an outlet. I imagine my old Itouch cord (it is longer) might work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
If your power lead is from a recent iPhone, iTouch or iPod then it will probably work. However the older ones designed to use Firewire will not.

So it depends how old your iTouch is :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.