disk drive has sticker stuck in it

Reaction score
You know those sticky labels they put on CD cases? I noticed too late that a CD I was putting into my imac had a piece of sticker stuck to it, and it got left inside the machine somewhere, and now it won't read any disk I put into it. Is it possible to take the drive out so I can get to the inside and remove the sticker? or do I just have to scrap the whole thing because some stupid little piece of plastic labeling because Apple technology is so **** sleek and integrated that you can never fix anything on it yourself ?

Thanks for any advice you may have

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can see the piece of sticker it may be possible to remove it without having to remove the drive. Shine a flashlight in the slot. Can you see it? If you can't see it and it's stuck fast somewhere inside (probably stuck on the optical LED reader) it'll have to be disassembled.

If you think you can do the job yourself, go to the ifixit web site and look up your model Mac. Then look up the step by step instructions for replacing the optical drive. Once you get the drive out of the machine, place it in the freezer or refrigerator for awhile. That will stiffen the sticker and cause the glue to loosen. You may be able to shake it out or get it out with a tweezer.

iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts

Regards.

Reaction score
If you take the drive out just undo the screws and take the top off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.