help !

Reaction score
hi guys long story but im brand new to the mac world ive got hold of a macbook dont know what model it is its a few years old and its white ??? its running mac os x version 10.5.2 im trying to update it all dont know if theres any point but it needs at least 10.5.8 to run garageband etc i cant for the life of me get it to update it keeps saying You cannot install Mac OS X Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update. when i try to update im a complete novice so before i go to apple and ask them can anyone help save me embarrasment it says there is 96 gb of available memory on mac hd is it just a memory issue ? thanks

T

todd51

Go here and enter your Serial number. It will tell you how old your Mac is along with all the technical specifications.

If you want an easy way to get the serial number. Click on the Apple logo in the upper-left corner and choose "About this Mac". Then click on More Info and your Serial Number should be listed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
it keeps saying You cannot install Mac OS X Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

You're trying to install an update from a grey disc, aren't you... That won't work. Those discs are model-specific, which means a 99.9% chance you don't have the model the disc is for.

P.S. Please use descriptive topic titles when posting. It helps all concerned. We currently have two in the same vein as yours. Imagine if all of them were so titled...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums billy.

If you are in fact running OS X.5.2, go to this link and download the OS X.5.8 updater. Let it run its course and do not cancel or turn off power supply as it is quite ab ig download.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

If you are not running OS X.5.2 go out and buy your own Leopard full retail install DVD, a black colouyred disc, and not silver grey machine specific discs.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks harryb ive not got any discs all im doing is downloading from apple the updates but they just wont carry on installing past choosing the memory for it to sit in ? just dont want to go out and spend alot of money buying leopard for it if the macbook wont take it cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Backing up a bit...
it says there is 96 gb of available memory on mac hd is it just a memory issue ? thanks

No, it doesn't say 96GB of available memory. It just says "96 GB available". That means disk space, not memory.

You need to know the specs to make sure whether 10.5.8 will install. Follow the suggestion above. More questions are welcome if you have any.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.