Embedded YouTube not working on Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Reaction score
Hello,

Embedded YouTube videos used to work fine up until a few days ago but they have stopped working in all browsers. I use Safari, Firefox and Netscape Navigator.

I am using Mac OS X (10.6.3) and have just conducted a software update and installed a fresh version of flash. This can't be a browser problem because it is not working on any of the browsers. I am having problems viewing embedded YouTube videos on such sights as Blip.fm, etc but they used to work fine a couple of weeks ago.

I have not installed ClickToFlash and am not using any popup blockers. It's not a popup issue in any case, because the embedded videos don't play on the main browser page. Plus, I haven't installed anything new, except for the Software Update. The videos were working fine until a few days ago but then suddenly stopped working. They are not working on any of the browsers (Safari, Opera, Firefox, or Navigator). When I try to play a YouTube embedded video, it doesn't load and says "An error occurred, please try later" in the black screen of the embedded video. I have installed a fresh new version of flash, restarted my Mac, reset the PRAM and NVRAM, and also reset SMC. Nothing seems to be working.

Is this a problem with flash? or Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Hello. I'll take a late night stab at it. Try this?:

Click on Finder>your hard drive icon>Library folder>Internet plug-ins

Delete the flash files in there. There should be two, Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt. If there is more flash files in there, delete them too.

Then open whatever browser you want, go to adobe and reinstall flash.

This might work and it might not. Doesn't hurt to try. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Hmmm... That's a fickle pickle.

Have you tried creating a new user or logging in as a a different user and seeing if it still happens? If it doesn't happen under a different user, it narrows down where to look.

I went to blip.fm and it works fine for me. I have 10.6.3 installed. Long shot, but do you have flip4mac installed? install or reinstall it. Try a different user also. If it works, doesn't work my next step would be to pull the quicktime plist.

Finder>click the house icon in the side bar>library folder>preferences folder

Then find the: com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist drag it and drop it on the desktop. restart and then try and view some videos.

If it works, you can delete the plist on the desktop. If it doesn't work, you can delete that plist on the desktop or put it back.

If none of this works, not sure where to go. I'm pretty hardcore. If none of this worked for me, I'd back up and reinstall the os and not leave 10.6.2. But that's not for everyone.

It used to be that you could go into quicktime and mess with the settings, but they don't seem to be there with quicktime 10. Maybe some one else will come along with a different solution. Not sure. I travel light, so reinstalling the os isn't any more of a hassle to me than spending hours trying to figure out problems like this.

You can always try reinstalling the update:

Mac OS X v10.6.3 Update (Combo)

Sorry I don't have a perfect answer. My nerd isn't that wise. I just know a few tricks.

Reaction score
Same problem

I've been having the same problem for a little over two weeks now. It's weird because it's not 100% of embedded Youtube videos that aren't working and all videos seem to work on the video's direct Youtube page. The success rate of embedded videos playing has also quickly been decreasing since it started too. Incidentally, I'm also having the same problem on Youtube in video Channels, but the same video will work on the video's direct page. I'm about to try dadsgravy's most recent advice about the Quicktime plugin prefs. I'll post again if it works.

I can't seem to find too many reports about this problem, but there must be more than just a handful of people with it.

I'm also running 10.6.3, but the problem started occurring before I updated from 10.6.2. I was actually hoping something in the updates might just clear up the problem.

Reaction score
Restarted to find that a video that wasn't working in it's embedded state before is now working, but other videos are now not working. It seems to be pretty random as to which video is working and when it wants to work.

Are any embedded videos working for you Zencapop?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, dadsgravy.

It indeed is a fickle pickle. I tried everything you suggested:

Made a new account. Didn't work.

I was already using Flip4mac. Reinstalled it. Didn't work.

I removed the com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist, restarted. Didn't work. Tried to replace the plist back to the preferences folder, but it said that a new copy of the file already existed. Seems like QT replaced it at restart. Strange.

As for installing a fresh copy of the OS, I already did that a couple of days back. This happened because I updated iTunes, which caused an error during restart, giving me a kernel panic error that kept me from restarting. It had me stuck in a loop where it would tell me that my computer could not be restarted and I had to shut down and try again. I would do that and I would get the same error again. Had to reinstall Snow Leopard. That did not solve the embedded YouTube problem because this had been going on for over a month now. I thought it might have been a Blip.fm problem, but apparently it is not.

gtruono: I am not sure I have seen ANY of my embedded YouTube videos work so far. Embedded videos from other sites seem to be working fine.

Which makes me think that this might be a problem at YouTube's end. Or maybe Flash. Because another friend of mine is experiencing the exact same problem.

P.S. I live in Pakistan, so maybe it might also be a YouTube server-related problem.

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem. And it started about 2 weeks ago too. I've been trying to find a solution.

Ginny

Reaction score
This may work

I got same problem. Youtube videos would not play on any of my browsers (safari, firefox, opera), but on my other profiles (ie. my wife's and a guest profile) on my mac did work, so I figured it must be something specific with my browsers on my profile.

I noticed that when I'm on youtube to play a video, and when I refresh the page, the video/page is trying to pull something from "s.ytimg.com", which I didn't know what it was nor why it did that. So I googled it on got this article: http://www.keiths-place.com/blogs/keith/2008/stop-youtube-sytimgcom-video-camera-spying

Appears to be some video camera spying tool. Long story short, I deleted all my cookies on all my browsers and it worked. I tried looking for that particular cookie but couldn't find it...they must've masked it somehow.

All works fine now. Hope this solves it for you guys...

Reaction score
Now that makes sense! I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks

Ginny

OP
Z
Reaction score
I don't know what happened. Even before I tried junkcatch's suggested, the embedded YouTube videos have started working just fine for me. Out of the blue, without any errors. I think whomever was also having a problem should recheck because wherever the problem was (I am guessing YouTube) the problem has been fixed.

Edit: Strike that. I spoke too soon. The problem's back.

Reaction score
I tried what Junkcatch suggested ...Plus a few other things & nothing is helping. Drats!

Ginny

Reaction score
Fixing Flash Problem

Dear all :

I recently have the very same proble with Youtube. It looks like it is something concerned with the 64 bits flash version.

Here how I fix it (Safari, Firefox not working yet):

1. Delete Flash from the computer:
    • Finder: MAC OS X -> Libraries -> Internet Plugins
    • Delete all "Flash" components from that folder
  2. Install Flash 10.2 32 bits version: Adobe Labs - Downloads: Adobe Flash Player "Square" Preview Release

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Dear all :

I recently have the very same proble with Youtube. It looks like it is something concerned with the 64 bits flash version.

Here how I fix it (Safari, Firefox not working yet):

1. Delete Flash from the computer:
    • Finder: MAC OS X -> Libraries -> Internet Plugins
    • Delete all "Flash" components from that folder
  2. Install Flash 10.2 32 bits version: Adobe Labs - Downloads: Adobe Flash Player "Square" Preview Release

This is a pretty old post you dug up, but, I have the latest version of flash 10.1.102.64 and have no problems.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
At one point, I had issues playing YouTube videos in Google Chrome. The video would just load in as black, sometimes audio only. I figured out that I had an extension in Chrome that I installed to disable Flash and let me click to enable it, if needed. However, when the YouTube would fully load, I'd not have the option to load the flash, so it never dawned on me that the plugin was being faulty.

Check your extension and plugins within Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.