What is a free, USER-FRIENDLY audio editing program for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
I do not like Audacity. Everyone suggests this app to me but it is really not user-friendly to me at all. Does anyone know of another free audio editing program out there that I can download?

The main things that I would need would be the ability to trim the audio, and use a Fade In and/or Fade Out option.

Thanks. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Doug, just tried Wavapad and sort of like it. Does a few things others do not do and saves in Flac also! Thanks for that! Amazing what you can find when trying to help others. :D

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I try to save the finished project as a music file with WavePad, the file is either not recognized by iTunes, doesn't play, or plays horrible static. Have you run into this problem? If you've used this program and saved a file as an actual audio file that plays correctly, how did you do it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which format did you use to save the files? I will play with it after dinner and get back to you.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used a file that started out as an mp3 and tried to convert it to an m4a, aac, and another mp3 and neither one of them worked. :[

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I started with a WAV. MP3 192K played great in iTunes. Tried AAC and nothing. So tried M4A which is the apple extension for AAC and it works great.

I will try your way and get back to you. Since you are starting with a compressed MP3 maybe that is causing issues. They all played in COG though.

I just tried an MP3 as the source file, converted to M4a 256k and 128k MP3. Were you using the VBR option by chance as I never did in any of my saves. I am clicking on Save As BTW.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is a VBR and I don't see a Save as BTW option. ???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW means "By The Way". I am choosing SAVE AS and not Save. It was just a note to be sure you are saving the same way. In the MP3 save as option when you click the first OK there is an option for VBR (Variable Bit Rate). I did not choose it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I know what BTW means in real life, but I thought you were referring to something else in the program that was abbreviated BTW. LOL!!

While you were away, I was fooling around with it and I did see the VBR option that you were talking about. I have never used this. I always used the other option. I am still messing around with it trying to get it work.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to use a different source file just to see if something was wrong with that particular audio file I was working with and the new file isn't working at all.

I think I am going to retire for the night. I am getting frustrated...and sleepy, which is an oh-so-awful combination.

Thanks for your help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will keep messing around but so far only that file I saved as AAC would not play in itunes. I used an MP3 and WAV as my source files.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't look like it's compatible with Snow Leopard. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
It doesn't look like it's compatible with Snow Leopard. :(

Yes, it is compatible.
Quote: from Amadeus Pro - Audio editor / sound and voice recorder for MacOS X ...
"Q: Is Amadeus Pro compatible with (Snow) Leopard?
A: Yes, ..... version 1.4.3 or later is compatible with Snow Leopard. However, some users seem to have problems when the CoreAudio Plug-In "DVCPROHDAudio" is installed on their computer and they use a FireWire interface. If Amadeus Pro refuses to launch on your computer, go to the /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL folder on your system and look for that plug-in. If you find it, move it to your desktop and reboot your computer. This should do the trick. To the best of my knowledge, this plug-in is obsolete and can be deleted without causing any problem."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.