All Over eBay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Wow, there are a slew of iPads all over eBay and for some big bucks too. No thanks, I think I'll wait.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Totally expected..people trying to literally steal money on the first day of release..amazing that some will actually pay way more than MSRP just to get it as opposed to wait for a month or so when these will be abundantly available at the Apple Stores..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Supply and demand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Patience is a virtue they say. And in this case it's a huge money saver too. I happens with everything new. People try to cash in on those who miss out on the initial shipment. Pretty immoral if you ask me. But those ebay sellers don't care about that. They only care about the $ in their pockets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Patience is a virtue they say. And in this case it's a huge money saver too. I happens with everything new. People try to cash in on those who miss out on the initial shipment. Pretty immoral if you ask me. But those ebay sellers don't care about that. They only care about the $ in their pockets.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to make a living... especially in this economy. If someone out there has extra cash burning a hole in their pocket and they're too lazy to get to the stores early or too impatient to wait for supplies to be abundant in the stores, then they'll pay inflated prices. It's not like the e-bay sellers broke into the Apple stores at night and stole the iPads. They are taking a risk buying several iPads and they may or may not make their money back. It's their risk, their attempt to make some money and it is FAR from immoral.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I see your point.
But people who do the same thing with concert tickets are often called ticket scalpers. They're all over ebay too. In the ticket example some people miss out on getting a ticket cause scalpers rush in with the only intention to re-sell the tickets. And genuine fans miss out on seeing a concert.

The ipad is a little different because you can still get an ipad, you just have to wait a bit. Mind you the same principle applies I think. Making money, people do that on ebay every day re-selling goods they bought at a premium. I see nothing wrong with that. But using people willingness to pay lots to cure their dissapointment of missing out on something to me is not cool.

I think people need to say no to these ebay sellers and wait for the next shipment of ipads to come. That'd show up all of the ebay sellers :).

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I went to Best Buy today with my son to check out the iPad and we had a bunch of unused Best Buy Bucks and a gift card Sooooo, I walked away with a 32 gig iPad for the price of a 16 gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
I walked in Best Buy an hour before close and got a 32GB. One left! I didn't Know If I even wanted one. Didn't walk out til after closing time. Time on receipt says 10:29, store closed at 10. List price was $599 receipt shows $1199.04. I spent a little more than I planned lastnite. They had no accessories available yet.

Reaction score
Pretty immoral if you ask me. But those ebay sellers don't care about that. They only care about the $ in their pockets
As someone who has to wait 20 days (if speculation is correct) and who really, really, really wants one now. I don't see how this is immoral. This isn't food, water or medicine people are hoarding. Its an electronic device that is more convenient then many other electronic devices out there.

If people can't wait 1-6 months and are willing to pay what these resellers are asking, then too bad. They deserve to part with their money.

Mind you the same principle applies I think.
Not really I don't think. I'd only say a scalper is immoral if they buy more tickets than they can sell. Otherwise no-one missed out. Also, who helped create a hostile atmosphere for "scalpers"? I wouldn't be surprised if initially it was caused by the stadiums or companies that sell the tickets in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not the case. Some people could afford the RRP price for the ticket or item, but can not afford the ebay sellers massively inflated prices. So they have to go without. I know cause I am in that boat. If someone buys 50 of the things all in the first second of availability and then just re-sells for 5x the price, then I simply can not afford that. So I miss out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Perhaps THIS will help settle matters. ...or at least provide a compromise in opinions.
I tried 50 just to see what would happen. There is a limit of 2 that you can purchase (from the online Apple store). Probably a similar limit at the actual, physical stores too.

Screenshot2010-04-04at114258AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. Or for the Non-US people who want ibooks on their iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Pretty immoral if you ask me.

And how is this different from waiting in line at best buy and seeling the voucher on to someone that cant get in before you ???

If that was true I'd line up with no intention of actually buying. Just to get the voucher and sell the voucher on for the cash.

Pretty immoral if you ask me ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Thee best buy I went to didn't have a limit. The guy in front of me bought one of each size. When I heard him say it I said, "someone is probably using eBay" but he didn't say anything back.

In hindsight I wish I had done the same and put them up for sale too. Some people actually flew over from Europe to buy one!

At the end of the day, it's a free market. People are more than capable of waiting and paying retail. If they want to pay a premium, that's their decision. Where I was there was no wait or loss of supply AFAIK so what the guy did didn't keep anyone else anxiously waiting om getting one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I don't know about the rest of the country but here where I live (Tampa FL) They didn't sell out at Apple Store and a friend mine told me Bestbuy still had some in stock last night too. Maybe all the hype has people thinking it's sold out, Just a simple trip to the Apple Store or Bestbuy and problem solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.