Application folder disappearing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Once again my applications folder has been removed from the dock. If I open up the Finder, from the right side area I can drag the Applications folder icon to the dock. The problem is that the icon for the Applications folder is the same one as the Address book and not the one it should be.

What am I doing wrong?

And how to I get the correct folder in the dock?

I'm finding out that the iMAC is not quite as user-friendly as I thought it would be.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "Applications Folder" must be placed on the right side of the Dock or it will not show the correct icon or stay in place. Look at your Dock... there should be a separator type line. The Applications, Downloads, and Documents folders are placed to the right of the separator. The icons for applications themselves are placed to the left.

You can likewise place any other special folders you created on the right side. Once there, you can change the way the folder displays by right clicking and choosing an option.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
The "Applications Folder" must be placed on the right side of the Dock or it will not show the correct icon or stay in place. Look at your Dock... there should be a separator type line. The Applications, Downloads, and Documents folders are placed to the right of the separator. The icons for applications themselves are placed to the left.

You can likewise place any other special folders you created on the right side. Once there, you can change the way the folder displays by right clicking and choosing an option.

Regards.
About 15 minutes before your reply made my mailbox, I figured it out.

Even though I was finally able to fix it, I appreciate the response.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If this is a recurring problem, there's an app for that:
Lock The Dock In Mac OS X

Lock your Dock to prevent things from being removed accidently.

Reaction score
Application Icon

After installing Canonscan toolbox the Application Folder Icon changed to the Address Book icon and the Canoscan toolbox took the Applications icon.
I successfully changed the Canoscan to a folder icon but Applications folder continues to display the incorrect icon.
Very confusing....and annoying...because there are now two identical icons on the dock.
I have tried various "fixes" from various forums...none work on this computer.
Note on the snapshot the Applications Folder shows the correct pencil,brush and ruler in Get Info, but continues to show the incorrect Address Book icon on the dock.
Restart ...no change.
computer is an iMac with 10.6.3 update and a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse

Snap 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Right click the Applications folder and make sure Display as Folder is checked. If it is already checked, check Display as Stack then recheck isplay as Folder. Hopefully this will fix the incorrect icon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.