New to Wi-Fi security

Reaction score
Ok I just setup wireless at my house and I would like to set it up as secure as possible (don't want anyone piggybacking my wi-fi). So far this is what I have done.

1.Changed the default SSID to a custom one
2 Changed the default password to a custom one
3.Changed from WEP to WPA2 encryption
4.Stopped broadcasting my SSID
5.Changed from 802.11b to 802.11g
6.Enabled MAC filtering

Is there anything else that I can do? I think its pretty good but I'm new at this whole wireless thing...

BTW when I connect with my mac wirelessly it asks me for the password encryption, should I use WPA2 enterprise or WPA2 personal?

Thanks a lot guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz i5 OS X 10.6.3
You've done a fantastic job of locking down your system.

The biggest key was to use WPA2. Unless you're running a radius server, then you are using WPA2 personal.

It's optional to turn your SSID off and put MAC filtering in place but they are a couple of additional layers to ward off anyone snooping. If you live in an area where you and your neighbors are separated by any distance (e.g. the 'burbs) then you can leave the SSID on so that visiting friends and family can connect to your wireless more easily. Also, some devices have issues with manually entering the SSID and don't always grab onto it but, they are few and far between these days.

Make absolutely sure that your passphrase is not something that can be found in the dictionary. Ideally, it should contain uppercase/lowercase/numeral/symbol combinations.

Also, make sure the router's admin password is also a strong password.

Again, you've done a great job.

T

todd51

That's a good job. You've done more than I have for our home's wireless security. However, there is not a great threat of "wardrivers" or "piggybackers" in my residential area.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Turn your SSID back on. Leaving it off will only cause you problems. As for the MAC filtering, it's about as secure as WEP. Not really needed. If you have WPA2 set in, you'll be secure enough.

The KISS principle applies here. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.