CD-RW - how to use/re-write??

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've never used a re-writeable cd before so I've gone and bought some as fed up of wasting normal cds on a few files.

Is there anything special I need to do with it as I've used one and when I've come to use it again it says I don't have sufficient privilleges to delete files from it.

Am I being really stupid and missing something vital I should be doing???!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Erasing a CD-RW or DVD-RW disc
Before you can reuse a CD-RW or DVD-RW disc, you must erase it. You can use Disk Utility to erase CD-RW and DVD-RW discs.

When you erase the disc, you can select Quick Erase. If you do, Disk Utility prepares the disc so that you can write over the existing data but it doesn't actually erase the data. If you don't select Quick Erase, Disk Utility overwrites the entire disc with zeros, which takes longer.

Insert the disc in the optical drive of your computer.
Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.
Select the disc in the column on the left and click Erase.
Select Quick Erase if you don't want to overwrite the old contents with zeros.
Click Erase.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply - but thats not working when I go to disk utility and try to erase it the erase button isn't highlighted.

Also (not sure if this helps) but the info at the bottom says that the disk is read only.

I've only used this CD once - should I have done something to it before my first use?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
In the Disk Utility, click on the CD drive, it's right above the cd in left hand column. Click on the drive, and you should see the "Erase" button, which isn't grayed-out unlike the other erase button, which is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.