Need a response sorta quick: Really okay to run PC pgrms. on iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/10: Purchased an iMac 21.5" 3.06 GZ, 500 MB, 4 GB
My more somewhat-experienced-with-iMac son (PC user but Mac laptop user, also) is arriving tomorrow. I've had my iMac 2+ weeks. I DO miss a few PC pgrms. on my PC here in my house and have VMFusion software. I've asked him to install Win. XP so I can run those certain pgrms. I like: ACDSee Pro, PrintMaster - as a couple of examples. The iMac version of PrintMaster is a disaster according to 75+ reviews so I want my orig. Win. one to make cards, graphics, banners, labels by the page, etc. It has thousands of options all included on the disks - no other Mac type of prog. can come close to this version, yet. And ACDSee is still beta for the Mac. I'm just not real happy with iPhoto. Sooo, here's my question. BOTH mainly PC-sons do NOT want me to run Wind. at ALL, due to concerns of getting a virus (usually got one twice a year & they had to bail me out), in addition to the one coming tomorrow saying that it's not "easy" switching back and forth to access Win. programs (you know, I'm a moron - they'd like to think). I admit I don't know much of the technical end but have managed very well with the PC for 25 years in doing just what I wanted to do and learning what was necessary to accomplish that. If I promise to not browse the 'net through Windows, won't I be safe by using only the Windows prgms. such as the ACDSee and PrintMaster? AND ... IS it hard and confusing to switch bet. the OSX and the PC format when I want to? Is it really "complicated"? If I can show my son sometime tomorrow (Saturday, April 3rd) responses by you experienced Mac switchers that it isn't difficult or "risky" then maybe he will come around to my preferences. So, be honest, of course. It's just from what I've read here, I thought I'd be okay to utilize my PC prog. when I want and it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Windows programs will work just fine under VMWare Fusion.

The windows installation can get a virus if it connects to the Internet, although- by surfing sensibly this should not happen and consider installing Firefox for Windows rather than IE

Even if the Windows installation gets any sort of malware - this will have no effect what so ever on OSX itself

C

chas_m

My more somewhat-experienced-with-iMac son (PC user but Mac laptop user, also) is arriving tomorrow. I've had my iMac 2+ weeks. I DO miss a few PC pgrms. on my PC here in my house and have VMFusion software. I've asked him to install Win. XP so I can run those certain pgrms. I like: ACDSee Pro

Mac version is coming along, but yeah the Windows version is of course much further along -- it only has a 10-year head start! :)

Don't worry, they'll catch up quickly enough.

BOTH mainly PC-sons do NOT want me to run Wind. at ALL, due to concerns of getting a virus (usually got one twice a year & they had to bail me out), in addition to the one coming tomorrow saying that it's not "easy" switching back and forth to access Win. programs (you know, I'm a moron - they'd like to think).

You'll certainly need to run anti-virus and other anti-malware/spyware programs on your Windows partition or install just as you would using Windows, otherwise you'll get a virus and lose data just like before.

The Mac portion, of course, doesn't need this.

As for the claim that it's not "easy," I'm afraid whoever said that is just misinformed (or trying to discourage you). It's perfectly easy once the setup is done.

If I promise to not browse the 'net through Windows, won't I be safe by using only the Windows prgms. such as the ACDSee and PrintMaster?

Both rely on net connections for license validation and updates, and by default the "Windows side" is going to be using the net connection anyway, so no, that won't protect you fully. See above.

It's just from what I've read here, I thought I'd be okay to utilize my PC prog. when I want and it wouldn't be such a big deal.

PS. While I'm not about to try and talk you out of ACDSee for obvious reasons, there ARE other options for greeting card/etc type programs on the Mac. There's the newest Print Shop version 2 from MacKiev, and Print Explosion for Mac from Avanquest.

Pages, part of Apple's iWork Suite ($79), is pretty low on the cheesy clip art but has STUNNING professional-grade templates for nearly all the types of projects you mention and is amazingly easy to use. You may want to take a look at the iWork tutorials to see what I'm talking about, and whether its right for you.

Reaction score
I would do anything Not to put windows on the Mac. Find replacements for your PC programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I'm with Mac SK on this one.

The very thought of Windows running on my iMac gives me the shudders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've got a few Windows only programs running under XP and Fusion on my mac. Usually I have windows and OSX running concurrently and switching between programs on the two systems is as seemless as switching betwen mac programs. The only 'problem' I encounter is when my virus program or windows update kicks in on XP and that side slows down somewhat. Wish I could get rid of my remaining windows programs but managing very well until that time comes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was hoping Chas would point out about ACDSee Pro beta on OSX soon to be a full version. That will solve that one for you anyway!

Printmaster I am not sure what would replace that for OSX. I am sure someone will make a suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2Gb 20" old school one, looking to invest in a new one.
The reason im switching to mac is to get away from windows. Don't bring windows back!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would do anything Not to put windows on the Mac. Find replacements for your PC programs.

To me, running Windows sandboxed in a VM is the best way to do so. As long as you're not gaming, running other OS software in a VM is a great alternative to having to re-buy your entire software library.

Remember, this is the Switcher's forum - many of these folks are starting from scratch.

Reaction score
I've only had my iMac about a month but it also "bothers" me to even consider running "windows" on my new girl Abra (as in Abracadabra cuz' she's magic!)

So this weekend I brought the old Windows machine out of the closet and set it up primarily as a "photo scanning station" mainly because scans to create large TIF files take quite a while....so maybe you could consider using the ol'windows machine for some things...and the Mac for other tasks?

Hope that offers an alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I'm with cwa. There are a few things I need access to Windows for (some of my 3D content I use has Windows installers, and one program I use that right now I cannot afford to replace with the Mac version). I have Windows set up VMWare Fusion, and only use it for those certain things. It is not used for internet access or gaming, etc. There are some valid reasons to also have Windows on the Mac, however wrong it may seem. That's why I set it up in a VM rather than using Boot Camp. Quick access when I do need it, and in a VM, it seems less permanent than in a separate partition...more like it is just another application on the system that is run when needed. Anyway, just my $.02.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.