WD 1TB drive into a Black Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD
I am wondering if I can put a WD 1TB scorpio blue hard drive into my Macbook? It's a 2.16 ghz with 2gb ram version running OSX10.4.11.

Has anyone swapped out the 160GB drive for this 1TB drive? Did it work well afterwards?

This drive seems hard to find but I think I can get it here in Japan for a decent price and it is worth it if it's going to work. **** I might buy two and replace the 500GB drive I use in a portable enclosure.

C

chas_m

From the link:

TPVT models are 12.5 mm high and may not be compatible with all notebook systems.

Translation: this probably won't fit into your MacBook, and even if it did (which I doubt), chances are high it would run hot.

My advice would be to let someone else be the guinea pig on this.

OP
CameraMike
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dang. It seems that the fujitsu drive in here now is 9.5mm high. Seems a the standard height. So is the 640GB WD6400BEVT the most GB I could probably get into my Blackbook? Looks like it'll physically fit. Will it run too hot?

C

chas_m

The 640 should be fine. The reasons I say that (even if) the 12.5mm could fit in there it would run hot is because of the complete lack of room for any kind of ventilation, not because larger-capacity drives run hotter (they don't).

I've been very happy with my 320GB Hitachi and you're getting twice the space, so I'd say if you're logical about managing your data you should have no worries about that size at all.

OP
CameraMike
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you replace the drive yourself or did Apple do it for you? Do they even do that I wonder. If they can do it for me for a small decent fee I really don't mind.

I found a blog on how to replace my Macs HD and it seems pretty straight forward. It's the same process for replacing the Macbook's HD from apple's site.

One thing that surprises me is that both say to reinstall the OS software and format the drive after installing it into the Macbook. If I put a new 640GB drive in a case format it and copy the 160GB entirely onto the 640GB using Disc Utility or Super Duper, won't the 640GB drive boot up as if it was the old drive after placing it in the Macbook?

Maybe it is better to the format and install/copy to new drive afterwards so I don't connect, disconnect and reconnect the drive saving wear on the pins of the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.