Hitachi 500GB SATA - MacBookPro

Reaction score
I have a 2007 issue MBP and a few days ago I busted the HD.

Seeing as it was just a 160Gb unit, I decided to upgrade it to a 500Gb as I had read previously that it was ok to do so.

Installed it yesterday and all is working fine. However, the MBP is still seeing the disk as a 160 Gb and not a 500 Gb unit.

Bizarre? Or is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Farrell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
Open up disk utility, and go to partitions.
What is showing up there?
Please take a screen shot and post it.
Screen shot: holding shift + command +4 and clicking the space bar when you are over the image, and then clicking the mouse button to take the picture.
Post by clicking advanced under the message box and clicking the attachments icon, or use imageshack uploader ImageShack® - Uploader

OP
F
Reaction score
6string - thank you
I know it is something dumb that I am doing!

Farrell

1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've heard of this before, but I don't recall why it was or what the solution was.
If it were me, I would boot from my install disc (holding C when once you hear the chime), select language, the go to utilities>disk utilities in the menu bar, and repair disk, and if that didn't solve it, erase disk.
Hopefully someone will tune into this thread and explain what's going on meanwhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
did you use Carbon Copy Cloner? Or another utility?

I had a BIG issue with this three weeks ago when I tried this install. I FINALLY found the solution, and you probably arent gonna like it...

For some reason, even with the 7k500 installed, and unmounted, I booted from an external firewire OWC enclosure where I Had the original HD installed.

I tried cloning literally 6-10 times, with no success. I know Computer stuff pretty well, and on this I was stumped. It did the same thing yours did. I had a 250GB HD originally, and the 500GB kept saying only 250GB hd was installed.

I had enough, I completely erased and reformatted the 7k500, booted from my snow leopard CD, installed a completely new version of it on the 7k500, and once install was complete, dragged and dropped all of the files from my old HD onto my new one. I haven't looked back. It is running fast as ever, and I am grinning ear to ear when I start up applications and load time is half of what it used to be.

Good luck! =)

-Keegan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
A second check would be to go to System Profiler under 'About this Mac'. Go to Serial -ATA it should tell you the Hitachi model number, space, serial etc.

I'm thinking you got a Hitachi 5400rpm 160GB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.