Tiger to leopard help.

Reaction score
I am thinking about upgrading from tiger to leopard. I am not sure if it will slow my machine down more though. I have heard since core duo is 64bit it will run faster. Well this is my specs:

Macbook Pro
Cpu: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1600

Would this slow it down?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to MacForums
If anything, your machine will run a lot faster....
Just one word of advise..... Do a clean install, by booting off SL disc, erasing your HD, and then continuing with installation!
Happy Mac'n :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks. I would like to keep my files, with out the inconvenience of backup. Would it make a difference if I just upgrade instead of clean install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you want to keep your files, I would highly recommend a backup, which ever way you go of upgrading, unless you don't care about data loss if something goes wrong.
Adding to that, any significant change to your system, should never be made without a backup, and if your HD fails, well..... all gone!

Many things can go wrong when upgrading, and clean installs have a better rate of success, esp from tiger to Snow Leopard when skipping Leopard.

Inconvenience of backup VS inconvenience of data loss!!!

C

chas_m

If you're not backing up, you're going to eventually lose all your files anyway, so why not just destroy them now?

Seriously. If you're not backing up, you're going to be back here begging for help at some point sooner or later.

Your original post said going from Tiger to Leopard, which has a ton of nice features but won't run particularly faster. If you mean Tiger to SNOW Leopard, then yes you should see some significant pickup, but again ... it's not an "inconvenience" to backup your files. It's a necessity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops.... I misread somehow and saw SL. Must be those late nights :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I would like to keep my files, with out the inconvenience of backup.
What!
n ... it's not an "inconvenience" to backup your files. It's a necessity.
Those were the words right on my fingertips.

Leopard might still be available from Apple, but they could be running out. Just about a month ago someone posted that they bought it for $80 US by calling Apple's toll free "online store" number. You can't find it online at Apple's site.

You can find it on eBay, but you have to be careful. Don't buy grey discs. They are model-specific and that means a 99% chance they won't install on your Mac.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys. I think I will back-up. Its seems like a really good idea! :Smirk:

Thanks.

T

todd51

Are you planning on upgrading to just Leopard (10.5), or are you upgrading to the current operating system which is Snow Leopard (10.6)? You said Leopard in your original post, I would suggest you upgrade to Snow Leopard. You will notice a better speed performance in your Core Duo Macbook Pro. I had one of your same models and upgrading to Snow Leopard was even faster than Leopard.

OP
L
Reaction score
Are you planning on upgrading to just Leopard (10.5), or are you upgrading to the current operating system which is Snow Leopard (10.6)? You said Leopard in your original post, I would suggest you upgrade to Snow Leopard. You will notice a better speed performance in your Core Duo Macbook Pro. I had one of your same models and upgrading to Snow Leopard was even faster than Leopard.

Good idea, thanks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.