Images Not Showing in "Preview" Application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snow Leopard 10.6 iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, Hitachi HDT721 640GB
I can see the thumbnail view on both the desktop and in the finder, however when I click on the image to open them up in the Preview application I just get a blank space. The file can be opened, as there is the file name in the title bar, however the image is not displayed. This was working up until today, and no changes that I know of or am aware of have been made to the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
First up, try just rebooting.
If this doesn't resolve it, try repairing disk permissions.
2ways to get there:
1: click desktop>click go in finder menu>utilities>disk utility or
2: applications>utilities>disk utility
When you are there, click on the partition in the left column under the model of the HD, and click repair permissions.
You could also use OnyX... and I can't give you the link to the right version as I don't know what versions of OS X you are running and on what Mac
I would probably also recommend a software update if I knew the above info.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snow Leopard 10.6 iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, Hitachi HDT721 640GB
First up, try just rebooting.
If this doesn't resolve it, try repairing disk permissions.
2ways to get there:
1: click desktop>click go in finder menu>utilities>disk utility or
2: applications>utilities>disk utility
When you are there, click on the partition in the left column under the model of the HD, and click repair permissions.
You could also use OnyX... and I can't give you the link to the right version as I don't know what versions of OS X you are running and on what Mac
I would probably also recommend a software update if I knew the above info.

Sorry...I seemed to have focused more on the problem than the details to help with the problem at the original post. I'm running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.45f0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I ran disk permissions and this is what it says

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man1/reset.1.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "usr/share/man/man1/reset.1.gz".
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man3/tputs.3x.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "usr/share/man/man3/tputs.3x.gz".
Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "usr/share/derby".
Group differs on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be 0, group is 80.
Repaired "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources".
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Does this help at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All the repaired permissions, that is fine as they are repaired.

Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "usr/share/derby".
and
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
These 2 are nothing to worry about and will come up every time you run permissions repair.

Has the Preview problem been rectified?
If not, follow my steps in the my second post.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey... I don't understand why you are getting this.

Did you download it from the link I gave you and pop it into your app folder?

Please post a screenshot of what you are getting!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey... I don't understand why you are getting this.

Did you download it from the link I gave you and pop it into your app folder?

Please post a screenshot of what you are getting!

I fixed it, it's a file in OpenOffice, I ran the Onyx and it said to restart and I did...and currently I'm downloading the Snow Leopard update you recommended

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it was a file in OpenOffice, but as to why this was popping up with OnyX was my query.
Have you tested it since running OnyX?
Anyway, let us know how it goes.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it was a file in OpenOffice, but as to why this was popping up with OnyX was my query.
Have you tested it since running OnyX?
Anyway, let us know how it goes.

I still get a blank file when trying to open it after running Onyx. I'm still downloading the software updates, it's a decent size file, 784MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing that I forgot to suggest, is to go to user/library/preferences and drag com.apple.Preview.plist to the desktop and reboot and see if that worked, which you can still do, but best not to interrupt the download, and wait until it's finished.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing that I forgot to suggest, is to go to user/library/preferences and drag com.apple.Preview.plist to the desktop and reboot and see if that worked, which you can still do, but best not to interrupt the download, and wait until it's finished.

That file is missing from that directory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah.... it's gotta be there ....Library in your home folder!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah.... it's gotta be there ....Library in your home folder!

I even did a search for it and no files came up, I checked that same folder and it was gone. Whatever that update did worked, and I now can view the image files in preview. Thank you for your help and time it was much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, after you opened preview, there should be a plist there now!
Anyway, glad it worked.... Otherwise I was going to have to throw in the towel, and say clean install time!
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.