Advice about turning my "damaged" Macbook Pro 250 gb (2009) HD into an external HD?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum, so if I am not posting in the right place, please let me know. Anyhow, I got a new Macbook Pro in July 2009, and last week the hard drive stopped working correctly. The problem is the system would not boot up (showing the gray apple logo with the spinning wheel constantly). I ran the disc utility to repair any damages, and the Hard Drive was able to mount correctly, showing all my files. Unfortunately, it still could not boot up. The Apple Store replaced it with a new hard drive, and I kept my old hard drive.

My question is: Can I use an External Enclosure to turn my Old Hard Drive into an External Hard Drive to transfer files? I wanted to know if this was still possible, since it would not boot up in my computer. I wanted to use Target Disc Mode, but I don't have any other Firewire enabled Macbooks in my area.

Any knowledge/advice would be great. Thanks!

--Joe Hill

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chances are if the drive had problems while it was the boot drive in your MBP, that it will likewise have problems if used as an external drive. Don't waste your time with it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.