Updating Mac Pro Hard drives - Advice please?

Reaction score
Please bear with this rather long description. I can't think how to shorten it to ask for the needed advice. :|

I currently have a late 2008 Mac Pro. My OS hard drive is the one that came installed. I've added two 750GB WD drives and a 1TB WD Green.

My second drive is partitioned: part holds scrapbooking, downloaded programs (and serial numbers) and Photoshop related files such as tips and tutorials. The other part is my scratch drive.

The third holds my large photo collection -- this partition no longer has much wiggle room; it has a smaller partition for my OS clone.

The 1TB drive holds backups of all files I don't want to lose including the photo drive and scrapbook drive. I also backup to two external drives on site and two off site. (Can you tell I'm paranoid? Lost a year's worth of work once.)

I would like to change to a larger drive for photos, also a larger second drive, adding a partition to install Leopard. All my software doesn't work with Leopard, forget Snow Leapord.

Now, finally my questions. I am concerned about too much heat (which is why I used a WD Green for the 1TB drive.) Fast is nice, but reliable is better.

I've read so much about the careless packaging used to send OEM drives. Can you recommend reputable dealers who use good packaging?

If I change to two WD Blue drives (1.5 or 2TB) will I be adding too much heat and over taxing my processer?

Or is my Mac Pro so reliable it can handle large WD Black drives? I'm not techie enough to add another fan.

If you were heroic enough to stick with me through this description, answers or other advice accepted with Gratitude!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know anything about the innards of a Mac Pro but I'm sure that Apple has provided adequate cooling for all those spare bays.

As for reliable packaging and good quality hard drives, I recommend going to the "Otherworld Computing" on line store and browse around. If you have any questions about a particular drive, give them a call on their 800 line. They'll be happy to provide answers for you. They specialize in Mac machines and have excellent customer service.

LINK

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
"As for reliable packaging and good quality hard drives, I recommend going to the "Otherworld Computing" on line store and browse around. If you have any questions about a particular drive, give them a call on their 800 line. "

I actually found a page where they talk about consultations on upgrades. I noticed that the new Mac Pros will hold 4TB in drives, so I guess that means there is a limit to the size. Also I found out that there is more concern about the ram cooling than hard drive.

I've been half thinking of the new Mac Pro, but they don't have any firewire 400 inputs! My externals wouldn't work unless I wanted to mess with USB.

Life is so backwards sometimes -- or maybe it's me that's backwards! :Oops:

Anyhow, thanks so much for responding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.