MacBook or Macbook pro? For my Music Needs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM
Hey guys

I thought this forum would be the best place to ask this question, as i could get answers from people who use the products.

Iv been offered a place on a course to study Soundtrack Production, annoyingly one of the requirements for the course is to have a laptop and get pro tools, now i use a 2nd gen 8 core mac pro and logic 9 for all my music needs. Getting pro tools isn't a problem, they teach it from scratch on the course, so using it wont be a problem.

I only need the laptop for audio recording with protools and the Mbox, and i will be primarily using the laptop to take into uni to showcase my work to the tutors and other students at workshops. Also to take out and record Foley, etc.

All the main projects i will do on the Mac Pro, so im wondering if i should just get a bog standard MacBook with my student discount, or is it worth spending the extra money on a MacBook Pro, baring in mind i have the 8 core MacPro in my studio?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
Problem with the Macbooks is that they do not have Firewire, only USB 2.0. There is also no express card slot to expand it that way either. If you're not moving large numbers of tracks or high res audio through the interface, this may not be a big issue, but its definitely probably the major consideration in whether to go Macbook or Macbook pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Definitely go with a Pro for music. Thats what I did!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Keep in mind that the 13" MB and MBP have a combined audio in and out port. The 15 and 17 inch models have separate ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I have the late 2007 white Macbook which is fine for your needs, but as mentioned above, the new models don't have firewire, and have shared in/out audio port.
The MBP 13" also has shared audio, so if I were in your shoes, I would either be going for an older Macbook, or the MBP 15".
You could look at this 15" MBP refurb from Apple which will give you all that you need, saving $350 of the price.
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 1.8
The Mac Aluminum (non-pro) would be another good one, it has seperate in/out audio.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM
The Mac Aluminum (non-pro) would be another good one, it has seperate in/out audio.

Im not to worried about the firewire or separate audio in/out, as i will be using an Mbox with protools!

Im thinking about maybe a 15" macbook pro, but they are still pretty pricey!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.