Is this any good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Definitely a great option, for sure. One of the best out there currently. You'll see better performance with 7200 RPM's vs 5400 and it's a reliable drive. A lot of people go for the 7200 Seagate drives as well, but I personally don't trust them. You might also look into the new Hitachi Travelstar drives, as they've been getting good marks all over the web, including from members on this forum.

I'd personally rather replace the stock drive with at least a 500 gig one, (especially if you do photo editing because the bigger your scratch drive, the better) but 320 is plenty if you're planning on storing your personal data on an external drive.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I would opt for a 500GB hard drive. As you know, 20 years ago people were saying that we would never fill up their 40MB hard drive.

A 500GB hard drive will last longer (not in term of actual life span), and eventually you will fill it up.

Go with a 7200 RPM hard drive and if you want a really fast drive, take a look at the solid state drives (very pricey!).

OP
R
Reaction score
I've looked through and I've seen people complaining about the WD being loud and vibrating. Also how good is the Hitachi 500GB ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Heard only good things about the Hitachi Travelstar 7K500

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just bought a Hitachi 500 GB drive yesterday and cloned my setup to it last night. It is sitting in an external drive as we speak waiting for me to collect the tools needed for the swap. I could barely hear it running last night and it is about a foot away from me.

OP
R
Reaction score
Will I see any significant improvements in start up times by going for a 7200rpm. I really do prefer to get the WD, as I don't really need 500GB as I store most of music, videos and images on my external. The only thing worrying me is how much noise and vibration will there be from the WD?

OP
R
Reaction score
Even if I don't need the 500GB, will my MBP benefit in any way by having this? As I'm starting to have doubts about the WD Scorpio black 320GB, just due to people saying that it makes a **** lot of noise and vibrates like mad.

Any replies much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I think that people tend to exaggerate, especially for the benefit of having *something* to say on an internet forum. If you try and look for something wrong in any product, you'll find what you're looking for. Don't let yourself fall for the placebo. If you're that concerned, just get the Hitachi and be done with it. Though, I'm sure if you looked for negative remarks about the Hitachi, you'd find those too.

Stop procrastinating. Else you'll never learn what's true and good for YOU.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Agreed with Doug.
The Hitachi is my favourite, and even though I've heard only good things about it, after searching long enough, I found one review which said everything is great about it, then went on to give it a negative rap saying that it clicks.
Even though this was only from one user, testing one HD, I'm certain if I dived into it, I could find more negative comments about it.
This doesn't change my opinion about it, as I know it's a good drive, and if I get it from a reputable crowd, I would be able to send it back and exchange it if there were anything wrong with it.
So, go with what you want, and as long as you get it from a trusted seller, and you'll have nothing to be concerned about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.