Setting Up AirPort Extreme Network Questions

Reaction score
1. I want to use a current 500gb WD My Book USB drive with the Extreme for Time Machine backup, I know this is not "supported" but I heard that if you format the drive you could find it in the discovery of a drive. What format is that and where can I get instructions to do so.

2. I have ACVHD files from my Sony Camcorder, I want to get a drive for backup and streaming over my Extreme network to my PS3. I have seen the WD My Book World Edition 1tb. Is this the best option? Also, should I leave the drive in the default windows format or should I convert it to a Mac format since I will be using a Macbook to send the new ACVHD file to it.

If you have another suggestion for this please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7
its in your application folder/utilities/disk utilities

You want Mac OS Extended journaling.

I am using a Seagate FreeAgent Go drive for my backup and it works just fine.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

I did a search and found a video on youtube that pointed out an important part to make time machine discover the drive. If you do not open the hard drive in the finder first, you will never find the drive.

hope this helps others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.