Sharing Files between OSs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Quad Core Intel Based
I am thinking about using bootcamp to install Windows 7 onto my new iMac running Mac OS X 10.6.3 and i was wondering if after i partition the Hard Drive if i am able to share files between the OSs/Hard Drive Partitions. Or if i can bypass the drive partitioning all together.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 640Gb HD, 8Gb iPod (thanks son!)
I am thinking about using bootcamp to install Windows 7 onto my new iMac running Mac OS X 10.6.3 and i was wondering if after i partition the Hard Drive if i am able to share files between the OSs/Hard Drive Partitions. Or if i can bypass the drive partitioning all together.

Thanks
In Utilities you'll find Bootcamp Assistant. Setup the Bootcamp partition, then install Win7 to that partition; it should be called "Bootcamp". Bootcamp will write the dual boot for you. You can set it to boot to Mac 1st or Win7 1st without doing anything. My Bootcamp booted to XP normal but I switched it to boot Mac 1st. When booting your iMac, hold down the alt/option key until your boot options appear if you want to switch OS.

I have WinXP on Bootcamp & I can share files both ways; Mac to XP & XP to Mac (I don't think Win7 would be any different).

I also have VirtualBox installed & can share files from Mac host to Ubuntu 10.04 beta & vise-versa. Windows can be installed on VB, too. What's cool with VB is you can set it up as a virtual partition, meaning it grows as you need it to grow. You are not locked into a particular partition size. Also, you can freely move back & forth to each OS without shutting one down. It treats the guest OS as any another window.

HTH

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, i have a look at that VirtualBox think as well
:)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Utilities you'll find Bootcamp Assistant. Setup the Bootcamp partition, then install Win7 to that partition; it should be called "Bootcamp". Bootcamp will write the dual boot for you. You can set it to boot to Mac 1st or Win7 1st without doing anything. My Bootcamp booted to XP normal but I switched it to boot Mac 1st. When booting your iMac, hold down the alt/option key until your boot options appear if you want to switch OS.

I have WinXP on Bootcamp & I can share files both ways; Mac to XP & XP to Mac (I don't think Win7 would be any different).

HTH

i just have one more question, which format are you using, FAT or NTFS because you can use both with XP but you cannot use FAT with Vista or 7, you can only use NTFS.
if you are using NTFS then great but if you are using FAT then it might be a problem for me.

and if anyone less has some information or advice i would appreciate it if you would post it on the page.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 640Gb HD, 8Gb iPod (thanks son!)
i just have one more question, which format are you using, FAT or NTFS because you can use both with XP but you cannot use FAT with Vista or 7, you can only use NTFS.
if you are using NTFS then great but if you are using FAT then it might be a problem for me.

and if anyone less has some information or advice i would appreciate it if you would post it on the page.:)

NTFS. I needed NTFS for large video files/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.