problems with PB G4 and airport

G

G3PO

Okay folks here is the deal:

I have the newest powerbook g4 1.73 with 512mg ram 80g hd Jaguar and the airport capabilities that came with the pb.

I have successfully connected to wep and wpa networks in the past with no problem, mostly at school and work. Two weeks ago I bought a linksys wireless b router and used my pc to create the network and set the pswd ect. I had a horrible time getting the mac to automatically log on to the network. I had to manually go to the admin page and reset the security settings for it to get recognized by my pb. I spent nearly an hour with linksys tech trying to figure out the problem when he finally told me to contact apple support. Of course it is not thier equippment so they didn't offer any.

I returned the router to my dismay.

School recently started back up, I opened my laptop, connected to the trusted network, opened up my browser and BAM! "unable to connect to server" -- I also recieved this message at work, so I know it wasn't thier netowrk.

What puzzles me is how I didn't do a thing in OS X to create my home network, so how could it have affected my airport settings?

after googling the problem I deleted my airport .plist file. This didn't help a bit.

Since then I have run cocktail to repair permissions, clear caches, ect. all the 'pilot' options. hopefully this will help what ails me but I doubt it. just a precaution.

So how do I repair my airport connections?

remember - my laptop connects to the networks but no browser can connect to any servers. IE, FF, safari, Opera, non were able to connect.

Can someone please help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
G3PO said:
Okay folks here is the deal:

I have the newest powerbook g4 1.73 with 512mg ram 80g hd Jaguar and the airport capabilities that came with the pb.

The newest PowerBook with Jaguar? You don't mean Tiger?
If you really are running Jaguar you should load Tiger (10.4)

I have successfully connected to wep and wpa networks in the past with no problem, mostly at school and work. Two weeks ago I bought a linksys wireless b router and used my pc to create the network and set the pswd ect. I had a horrible time getting the mac to automatically log on to the network. I had to manually go to the admin page and reset the security settings for it to get recognized by my pb. I spent nearly an hour with linksys tech trying to figure out the problem when he finally told me to contact apple support. Of course it is not thier equippment so they didn't offer any.

In my line of business I have had problems connecting Mac customers to their Linksys routers using WEP. Usually it's been unencrypted with MAC ID access turned on.

School recently started back up, I opened my laptop, connected to the trusted network, opened up my browser and BAM! "unable to connect to server" -- I also recieved this message at work, so I know it wasn't thier netowrk.

Go to Network Preferences and verify that you are assigned an IP address.

If you get one, try pinging the gateway IP. Also, I've found that sometimes you need "Open or Shared Key" to be enabled on the router for the Mac to connect.

Try testing with a WEP enabled router, and WEP-disabled (unencrypted) router.

remember - my laptop connects to the networks but no browser can connect to any servers. IE, FF, safari, Opera, non were able to connect.

Definately check to see if you are getting an IP assigned to your PB and go from there.

I never did like using Linksys routers, usually Netgear or Airport Extreme/Express have been the way to go.

Good luck, let us know what you find out as far as IP assignment and gateway ping test.

OP
G

G3PO

IanCT said:
The newest PowerBook with Jaguar? You don't mean Tiger?
If you really are running Jaguar you should load Tiger (10.4)

In my line of business I have had problems connecting Mac customers to their Linksys routers using WEP. Usually it's been unencrypted with MAC ID access turned on.

Go to Network Preferences and verify that you are assigned an IP address.

If you get one, try pinging the gateway IP. Also, I've found that sometimes you need "Open or Shared Key" to be enabled on the router for the Mac to connect.

Try testing with a WEP enabled router, and WEP-disabled (unencrypted) router.

Definately check to see if you are getting an IP assigned to your PB and go from there.

I never did like using Linksys routers, usually Netgear or Airport Extreme/Express have been the way to go.

Good luck, let us know what you find out as far as IP assignment and gateway ping test.

Well, I bought my Powerbook 1 month before Tiger Direct came out (just kidding) so I am not about to upgrade yet. I wish though, its pretty!

Since the networks are at school and work I do not have admin rights. I can check the sys prefs though. I noticed it worked at my local Starbucks Hot Spot though. That leads me to believe it is most likely not my PB.

At home it worked fine without any security enabled, but I didn't feel much like getting hacked. I think I am going to tough it out and buy Airport for my home. Does i386 linux play well on the hardline part of it? It should right?

thank you for your detailed reply. You are one of the good ones!

G

Reaction score
I also have been wondering if something is wrong with my airport.
I have a macbook with 10.5.5. At home I have an airport express & at work I have a bell canada wireless router.
Some times when I'm at home my computer connects to another unsecured router. When I try to connect to mine "sometimes" it asks for the password, witch already shows up. I hit connect and get a "connection time out" this will go on and on until I unplug and replug the airport express.
Also sometimes when I am connected my computer goes so slow it's stupid witch is fixed by unplugging & replugging the airport unit. I don't think it's the air port because my Iphone works perfectly while this goes on.

At work with the bell router my computer works seamlessly. But my brothers macbook pro 10.5.5 gets kicked off all the time and has to reboot his Wi Fi by shutting the airport off then on. I have never had a problem with my iPhone Wi Fi witch leads me to believe there is a software problem somewhere in 10.5.5 or my brother and I have picked up a bug somewhere.

Is anyone else having this problem or just have an idea about what might be wrong, let me know.

Thanks,
Brad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.