Ive killed my powerbook with ubuntu and kubuntu

vb1

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, im new here and this is my problem.
I have a power-book 6.5,[ibook g4] 1.25ghz, 80gb hd, ive finally made the move from Winbloze and seen the light with Mac OS X (god bless)anyways ive got this laptop G4, ive had i sitting around in my cupboard for months, i got it given to me, after cleaning my cupboard out and finding it i thought, lets crank it up and see what it can do. so i powered it up and it went to a screen with non-bootable jargon on it, scoured the Google and found a way to boot up normal, the OS was Leopard 10.5, i was amazed with my new toy, unbelievable OS, so i thought was else can i do with this, so i stumbled across Ubuntu,Kubuntu:Shouting:then found out it was a bit more work than they looked, very pretty OSes, now ive got a WHITE PLASTIC SQUARE BRICK, ive tried to instal Ubuntu,Kubuntu several times, ubuntu goes all the way but when restarts it comes up with the dreaded white screen, Kubuntu is a LIVE CD, that one will load but gets stuck on the logo before the desktop so i have to OPT,CTRL,F5 then STARTX and that loads the desk top,then i try to install it and it comes up with *INSTALLER-CRASHED* so thats KAPUTSKI i think my MBR is fairley well stuffed, i havnt any original install disks or dvd's or anything that came with it, ive tried everything, RAM reset ,bypass ubuntu bootstrap all that key board short cut stuff, but the funny thing about it is after installing the other OSes it didnt chime when booted, but after mucking around with the partitions a million times, when i boot it up now it chimes and when i bypass the bootstrap it goes to the small box with the face and question mark, i only do that to know that there is hope, but my question is: can my baby be brought back to normal.HEEEEEEELP:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Wow, all of this in one sentence.

Suggestion: Buy the disks for your machine and re-install from the disks.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
V

vb1

Reaction score
Thanks for reply Mcbie, can you tell me exactly which discs i need, (yip mouth full of marbles that one)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For your Powerbook G4, you can install:

tiger_box.jpg

10.4 Tiger

leopard_box.jpg

10.5 Leopard.

Of cause Leopard is better, as it has many many more features. And it should run ok on your powerbook. Not 100% sure as I've enver owned a powerbook but that's what I've read.

OP
V

vb1

Reaction score
Thanx for the reply the8thark, does it have to be, DVD or CD, ive read that dvd will do the trick (oops my bad) will that boot it up and will it fix the MBR problem? coz that Ubuntu is a tuff cookie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanx for the reply the8thark, does it have to be, DVD or CD, ive read that dvd will do the trick coz im downloading a dvd.iso of Leopard10.5,retail(well thats what it says) it's just ova 7.5gb, obviously dual layer, will that boot it up and will it fix the MBR problem? coz that Ubuntu is a tuff cookie.
That is stealing, and obviously against the law, as is discussing that on Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.