Imac near an open window (humidity, direct sunlight)

Reaction score
I have a young 27" iMac in Indiana, and my desk is in front of my only unobstructed window, which I like to keep open often during the summer months. The iMac is about a foot away from the window. It gets into the 80's and 90's in June/JulyAugust, and the iMac receives about 3-6 hours of direct sunlight in the morning. Also, it's usually in the low- to mid-80's in my room during the summer. Is that very bad?

Should I be concerned about humidity or direct sunlight?

C

chas_m

I'd be more concerned about dust than the heat. That direct sunlight is also probably not good for it (assuming its running at the time), as that would cause the temp to rise beyond the local temperature.

I'm sure some small adjustments in the placement of the desk, along with an air ionizer in the room (NOT close to the Mac!) would solve both problems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sunlight does cause most things to yellow also. The aluminum portions of the case will stand up to it, but you'll find any plastics exposed to direct sunlight changing color over time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And also direct sunlight for a prolonged time doescause some plastics to so hard and brittle too. So it's best if you can heave the curtains closed for those few hours each day and you should be fine. I do that all year round cause I own the latest model white imac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wouldn't even think about leaving a window open around here in the Summer!
Not with the Texas sun able to boil water and fry eggs. :Grimmace:

I suggest you consider buying a window air conditioner for your room and use it during the Summer months. Depending on the size of the room, a small unit should suffice. That will not only reduce the humidity in the surrounding air, it'll also help keep the sun off your Mac when you close the curtains.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. As for sunlight damaging the iMac's plastic, its back is to the window, so sunlight is pretty much only hitting the metal backing directly. I found this on the official iMac page:

Electrical and operating requirements
Line voltage: 100-240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
Maximum continuous power: 241W (21.5-inch models); 365W (27-inch models)
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -4° to 116° F (-20° to 47° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet
Typical acoustical performance
Sound pressure level (operator position): 18 dBA at idle6

The maximum 95 F degrees operating temperature is somewhat concerning, as that will probably be how hot it gets on the hottest days. What about the relative humidity? I'm guessing 95% is really high, but I don't really know what that number means.

Have many people on this board reported Mac computers failing due to humidity or heat/sun exposure?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.