Typical Boot Time?

Reaction score
I have been using the MBP for a while now and it seems that it has slowed down in terms of boot time. Shutdown is still fast as normal. I might be wrong here but I do have lot of stuff that is loaded including couple that load up on boot time.

Can anyone confirm how long does it take to boot completely? This is just for information. I know my MBP is due for a complete erase and reinstall anyways but just curious if I have started to imagine things... ;)

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Boot time is dependent on how much is required from the system on boot, how many applications, utilities, log-in items, etc you have. An average time is hard to state.

Have you run OnyX Titanium Software to give the OS a good tune-up? I suggest you try that first. A "complete erase and reinstall" may not be necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Also, what OS are you running? Snow Leopard is way faster compared to tiger, but it ultimately relies on startup-up items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Don't know about all of this, but in my view, measuring ( let alone comparing ) boot times doesn't make sense.

My MBP is ready for operation in less than 5 seconds because I never shut it down unless ' Apple software update ' asks me to.

Open the lid, do work, close the lid.

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know about all of this, but in my view, measuring ( let alone comparing ) boot times doesn't make sense.

My MBP is ready for operation in less than 5 seconds because I never shut it down unless ' Apple software update ' asks me to.

Open the lid, do work, close the lid.

Cheers ... McBie

ditto

I have never shut down a computer with any regularity. Unless you count shutting down my office machine on Friday afternoon and restarting it on Monday morning as regularly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It takes me a lot longer to get stuff out of my boot than it does to put it in there.... especially if I've been grocery shopping, and didn't secure the bags before I left the supermarket, and I have items scattered all over the place :)
Seriously though, apart from all that's been mentioned above, even something as simple as more than you had on your HD last time you used it is going to slow it down!
Perform basic maintenance every now and then, and when you need a bigger HD, get one.
If you want a faster boot time, application start, read/write, etc, get a larger and faster HD or SSD.
Otherwise, put your stop watch away, and enjoy your Mac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
OP
sau124
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have OnyX and do a regular maintenance, but I work with video editing and have lot of crap constantly moving in and out of the hard drive. I don't follow most of the instruction from Apple and I know defrag is not the best option as Mac tends to put things in order. I understand that there will not be any standard boot times as there are different programs and different setups but getting an average time was just to get an estimate of what it should be around.

I am not a superuser but would at least call myself a power user so I am sure I am keeping up with the stuff on the Mac... but you know it is all about feeling good... I am not sure maybe it is time to upgrade the processor (buy a new MBP) but I think I should wait for the newer version.

Thanks again,

OP
sau124
Reaction score
So I got my new MBP but just for the sake of it I went ahead and completely reinstalled Leopard. I notice that the boot screen where the animation is playing goes on for around 20 -30 seconds and then the login screen comes up and from there it is less than 5 seconds. I thought I will post this here so that people can have a baseline with nothing on the system (again this will depend on the processor/RAM) but at least something to compare against...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.